MikesXS Electronic Ignition Kit

I have the manual if there’s anything else you need.
F6B5B205-8577-4789-8354-72A73D843888.jpeg
C64B760E-85B8-4A93-A4A0-6F70DFACF6FF.jpeg

DIY ? HAH ! Pete had long experience in the electronics field being the one who made the bits to convert the telephone to touch tone.
Pete started developing the ignition for His Own Bike and originally made his trigger plate from a gerber baby food lid.
Problems with the system come from high heat and he solved this by hunting down the highest quality heat tolerant bits.
His price was giveaway to help the XS riders and he never set out to make high profit.
Boyers ( both red and blue box ) often burned a hole thru the box due to using low quality components.
I called them on this and they admitted to this and to shipping them out anyway !

This, X 100.

I met Pete shortly after the Gerber baby food lid model. I got to see the baby head spinning before he painted it black during some trouble shooting. I watched the Pamco develop in his garage.
Pete didn't rip off anybody. And he bent over backwards to offer help to the community in the early days and for years afterward.

And F@#K MikesXS.

OK, I *think* I have the timing set. The MikesSX instructions weren't detailed, but I assume that I use a strobe light connected to the left spark plug, and set the TDC mark on "Fire"? This is what it looks like:

idle-timing.jpg

It idles well at this point, right around 1000 RPM. See video:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/3YMu3PEtN8o9meD39

When I slowly give it some throttle it goes up to about 2000 RPM then bogs or chokes and quits. I think I have a carb issue at this point. Here's what I have done so far. I assumed that these exhausts are more "open" than the stock ones, plus I'm going with the UNI pod filters. So, when I rebuilt the carbs I went with the RR settings. See below:

keyster-mikuni-instructions.jpg

I am thinking that perhaps I should go back to the "S" settings instead. Any thoughts or suggestions based on all your experiences?

Thanks!

Randy

I’m running the K70’s on my XS2, love the look, but they are a vintage tread pattern and there are some trade offs in the handling department. They are very squirmy if you ever get stuck riding on rain grooves, they also squirm a little if you push it too fast through a corner. If you are just tootling around they are fine, but you won’t mistake them for a performance tire! :D

Ok, I get it. So, what would you recommend or suggest as a more modern performance street tire? I run Avon Roadriders or Pirelli Sport Demons on my Bonneville's, but I don't think they make these sizes.

If you want the “vintage look” maybe consider Continental Twins ?
These would be a good choice if you want a vintage look.
Ok, I get it. So, what would you recommend or suggest as a more modern performance street tire?
I put Continental GO's on my BMW RT and my XS2. They seem fine. I'm sure they are not the best performance tire. I don't push them real hard so they work good for me. They have more grip than I use.

Last edited:
I've run Shinko's 712's in the past and they are good tires except for the rain grooves. They loved to follow them. I switched to 230s and they don't follow the grooves as well. Good tires for the money IMO.

I'm not a big fan of carb kits. That one you got is rather new and I don't think there's much info or feedback on it yet. Honestly, I don't think the kit makers thoroughly test them, just work out on paper what they think is right. I'd shelf that kit for now, at least the custom needles anyway, and go with stock components. Just change a couple jet sizes. Personally, I did up a set of '76-'77 carbs to try out on my '78. It has the same (or very similar) "pipes and pods" modding like yours. My final settings were 27.5 pilots (one up), 132.5 mains (4 up), and the stock 4M1 needles leaned a step.

Your break-up and stumbling around 2K is right in the idle to midrange transition area. I think both that 32.5 pilot jet and the custom "RR" needle are too rich. The 130 main may be OK and close to being right, but you can't even get to it's RPM range to find out.

Thanks 5twins for the extra info. My "kit" does not include 27.5 pilots or 132.5 mains. It does include the stock needles.

I did switch the carbs back to the 25 pilot jet, and then went to the 134 main, plus I switched the needle back to the stock ones and moved the clip position from the middle to the next slot above it to lean it a bit. Still acts the same, maybe worse... it bogs and dies as soon as the throttle is applied. Still idles great.

Where is a good source to purchase a range of jets for these carbs?

Leaning the needle is mostly for the larger mains but it also leans out the idle to midrange transition. So now you've gone to the other extreme there, you're too lean with the stock size pilot and stock needle leaned a step.

Many have been getting their jets from Niche Cycle. They sell genuine Mikuni jets, which I recommend (that's all I use), but they also sell reproductions, so make sure you watch for that.

Back