mini speedometer neutral indicator. no separate ground

Piaman

XS650 Member
Reaction score
hey all. First post. Registered a while ago but have managed to putter through with the search feature on my first XS. Got it running and riding pretty good.

Anyways, I picked up a little speedometer from Amazon a fairly generic Chinese one. I'm stuck on the neutral light....

The Speedometer has two ground wires (one for backlight and one for the three indicator LEDs), backlight, headlight, turn and neutral.

Since from reading on the site our neutral system switches the ground I am left with a neutral indicator that is always on.

Is there any way I can work around this?

thanks so much

This is how mine worked. One of those black wires is the ground for the neutral light, connect that to your neutral switch. The other black wire connects to ground for the rest of the lights and indicators.

Like many items from China, and their ads, there are language and instruction errors.

Scott

thanks for the response. Maybe mine is wired wrong inside. For sure the one ground wire lights up the backlight and the second one for all 3 indicator lights when I test it. I was hoping that mine would be wired like that which would make sense. Here is the instructions but also how it works when testing:

The positive electrode of the Neutral: Green line
The positive electrode of the Headlight: Blue line
The positive electrode of the Left turning: Yellow line
The positive electrode of the Right turning: Brown line
One of the Black line is the Negative electrode of three Indicators.
Backlight and pointers:
Positive electrode: Red line
Negative electrode: Another Black line

You can use a 4 or 5 pin 12V relay, rated at 20 amps or more.

Connect the neutral switch (sender) wire to 85

Connect 12V + ignition switched power to 86 and 30

Connect the speedometer green wire (neutral light) to 87

Connect both speedometer black wires to chassis ground or black ground wire on bike.

Driving_light_relay_wiring_diagram.png

Last edited:
So, when the key is on there will be power to 86 and 30

When the bike is in neutral there will be a ground connection at 85

When there is power at 30 and a ground at 85 there will be power at 87

When the bike is in gear there will be no ground at 85 and no power at 87 and the neutral light will not be lit

Scott

You're the man.... Works like a charm. thought id document it in case anyone else is struggling with this. I split off the brown wire to power both pins on the relay

Sky Blue wire from neutral switch -> pin 85 on relay
Brown wire in harness beside sky blue -> pin 86
Brown wire in harness beside sky blue -> pin 30. *** note I split off this brown wire for both pins. there is only one wire on the bike harness
Green wire on my speedometer -> pin 87
Black wires on speedometer -> both go to the ground from the backlight out of the tach. Any ground should do though.

thanks for putting me on the right path

Now we need someone to take those $10 KPH speedometers, open them up, calibrate and print a new face on their computerized cricket with MPH and KPH, then sell them to us for $20. (2M?) Look at the market that they could reach with just this little bit of a change. (2M?) International and MULTI BIKE universal. (2M?)

Stopping point........The odometer and trip meter would still be inaccurate KPH. But the other options are inaccurate MPH for $80. I'm going to try to adjust to using mine with the inaccurate KPH for $10, but a re-calibrated MPH face would be nice.

Scott

Last edited:
Egads! This thing?

CheepSpeedo01.jpg CheepSpeedo02.jpg

Anything to save a buck, huh?

Here ya go. A ratio adapter.
RatioAdapter.jpg

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/132311016520

Order one in 38% reduction.
Slows down the speedo cable rotation to a 1 : 0.62 ratio.

Then, the speedo reading will be in MPH, and the odometers will be in Miles.
Of course, it'll now be a 160 mph speedo :yikes:

Only $90. Get yours today...

Last edited:
Back