Minor frame modification

smiles79

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm working on installing a flat brat seat on my '75 cafe build. In the picture, I have circled a piece of the frame that seems to just be there for structural support. The part of this brace that the arrow is pointed at (the bulged portion) is getting in the way of my seat. Is it ok if I were to grind this bulged portion flat? The rest of the brace would stay like it is, I just need it to be flat. Also, there is a brace on my bike towards the back of the frame hoop (this is a picture I pulled off the internet, I was too lazy to go out to the shop to take a picture of my bike).

Thanks all,

Smiles

Oh shoot my bad! Here's the picture

Attachments

• yamaha-XS-FRAME.jpg
    yamaha-XS-FRAME.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 340
Hi,

I'd think that the raised bit is there to add structural rigidity to the plate, like a fold in sheet metal. If you grind it off and fill it in back to flat, then I'd suggest welding a strip of steel underneath between the two rails to regain some rigidity between the shock mounts.

....just my opinion though.

- - - this is a picture I pulled off the internet, I was too lazy to go out to the shop to take a picture of my bike - - - .

hi smiles,
well, that explains the '80+ seat holddowns in the photo, eh?
Like Phil sez, it's a stiffening ridge. If you grind it off the plate will be weaker.
Significantly so? I doubt it.
Mind you, if you are also removing the frame's rear loop that plate will be the only thing holding the rear frame together.
If Mr. Belt'n'braces was doing that, he'd grind the ridge flat, gash it through in an arc where the ridge used to be and weld in a downward-facing curved strip of 14ga sheet mebbe 1/2" deep to put the stiffness back in.

Why not add something on the frame at a few places to lift the seat level. Or hook them to the seat.
Leo

Back