Minor oil problem

Geezerman35

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have an 83 XS650 in a Paugho frame. I have a classic old headlight that the speedometer in the housing looks cool but doesn't work.
Oh yeah, the oil problem.
I had gotten a mechanical tach from Mikes XS. The problem is that at extended highway speeds (55/65 MPH) oil seeps out of the tach insertion point and drips down on the right exhaust pipe which is wrapped with heat tape. When I stop, that oil will smoke from the saturated tape.
I wanted to install a washer or something to stop it up, but there is a fairly large slot at the top of the threaded mounting piece that a washer will not be the solution to covering.
I only have the cheap Yamaha manuel (Haynes) that does not go into any detail or show that a special seal might be available.
Any suggestionss will be appreciated.
Thanks
Clay

I have an 83 XS650 in a Paugho frame. I have a classic old headlight that the speedometer in the housing looks cool but doesn't work.
Oh yeah, the oil problem.
I had gotten a mechanical tach from Mikes XS. The problem is that at extended highway speeds (55/65 MPH) oil seeps out of the tach insertion point and drips down on the right exhaust pipe which is wrapped with heat tape. When I stop, that oil will smoke from the saturated tape.
I wanted to install a washer or something to stop it up, but there is a fairly large slot at the top of the threaded mounting piece that a washer will not be the solution to covering.
I only have the cheap Yamaha manuel (Haynes) that does not go into any detail or show that a special seal might be available.
Any suggestionss will be appreciated.
Thanks
Clay
yes that un-screws then there is a oil seal 93104-07036-00 (7X13X4) under it, oil migrates up the spinning tach drive so if you replace that seal pack the under side with heavy grease upon install

Go to babbittsonline.com or any other Yamaha dealer site and find their parts fiche. There you'll see what part is missing or worn out that would cause the leak. I've run with the tach disconnected and didn't get any oil coming out, so the seal is probably a stock thing, even though you have an aftermarket tach. Or in other words if it was right it wouldn't matter what you were using for a tach, or no tach.

Back