More electrical research!

So this is my multimeter and i assume you use the 200 ohm setting on it, its the only one that would read and for these two coils they both read about 2.5 ohms- 2.6 ohms, i just wanted to check while i had the gas tank off and compare, also when i hook battery up to pamco should i unhook it from everything else? such as the capacitor and pma? thanks:confused:
0004217303300_500X500.jpg
IMG_20140819_182750_428.jpg

Okay so just hook the battery to the green,red wires on the Pamco?

The red wire from the PAMCO still goes to one of the terminals on the coil along with the positive from the battery. The green wire goes to the other coil terminal. The negative from the battery goes to ground, but your results from just connecting the battery to the capacitor might be all you need because you are getting good charging results and the engine is running better which probably means you have a bad or too small capacitor.

well i took the bike for a ride yesterday at around 6 with the battery hood up still like i had it, and still seemed to be running like crap, so today im going to just take and isolate it like you said pamcopete, so once i get off work ill go ahead and hook battery up to just the pamco and take her for a spin see if i get anywhere, ill get back to you later

Sorry it took so long, just got back into town, but i tested my coil and this was my readings
Lowest scale with the primary's = 2.8 ohms
Highest scale primary & center coil = 1. is open
Primary & plug wire terminal = 1. is open
Plug wire terminal & core of coil = 0.02 and i switched sides too and still got 0.02, but i think that ones is suppose to be open, infinite
Plug cap to plug cap = 0.02
took the caps off and went wire end to wire end = 0.01

Then i hooked pamco up to battery and the reading from that were obsure, it would be jumping around like a kangaroo but the rest of the pma and everything was running at 12-14 volts, so i think i need a new pamco unit and coil if im not mistaken

Replies, thanks also for the all the feedback and help too greatly appreciated

motorbreath,

I think you should start by changing the coil first unless you have an explanation for those .02 readings. Not sure what the Kangaroo has to do with this. You don't mention if the engine was running or not. In your previous post you said you took a ride, so the PAMCO is working, it would seem. The suggested test was to connect the PAMCO to a separate battery without connecting to the bikes electrical system. Was that done?

Next up Pamcopete demonstrates cat herding!

Pete your patience and persistence is noted and appreciated!

New coil ordered, but i did connect the pamco to a separate battery and i started the bike, it ran but didn't take it for a spin, no gas tank on it. How can you tell if the pamco is bad? Does it not spark at all?
I checked the voltage on the pma and capacitor and those stayed around 12-14 volts while isolated from the pamco.

New coil ordered, but i did connect the pamco to a separate battery and i started the bike, it ran but didn't take it for a spin, no gas tank on it. How can you tell if the pamco is bad? Does it not spark at all?
I checked the voltage on the pma and capacitor and those stayed around 12-14 volts while isolated from the pamco.

motorbreath,

Yes, basically. It's either spark or no spark. If your reading between the plug wire terminal and the core of the coil is correct, then that could be the problem because that shows a short that would greatly diminish the spark intensity, probably to just one cylinder.

pamcopete,

Thanks again, ill keep updating when the coil arrives and let you know. Again thanks!! Thanks everyone else too who put there ideas and thoughts, like i said ill keep posted and let everyone know.

This is what im going off for testing the coil i just got in the mail

Testing the coil:

1) Using the lowest scale on the meter, measure the resistance between the primary terminals with the wires removed. Should read from 2.5 to 4.5 Ohms.

2) Using the highest scale on the meter, measure between one of the primary terminals and the center core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance. (open)

3) Measure between one of the primary terminals and one of the plug wire terminals. Should be infinite resistance. (open circuit)

4) Measure between one of the plug wire terminals and the core of the coil. Should be infinite resistance (open circuit)

5) Measure from one plug terminal to the other. Should be 15,000 to 20,000 Ohms

#1 2.5ohms on the lowest setting
#2 infinite
#3 open
#4 open while the meter is on 20k ohms setting
#5 i get 25 while on 200k ohms setting, i get open when on 20k setting

motorbreath,

That #5 reading is OK. You are getting an open on the 20K setting because that is out of range (25K). If you have the pluig caps installed on the wires, then that would add 10K meaning that the coil is 25 - 10 = 15K

motorbreath,

Well, you should be able to read infinity on the highest scale, but it's OK on the 20K scale. Be sure to keep your fingers off of the probes because you will read your body resistance on the highest scale.

Pamcopete,

I put the new coil on today and road it around and it still does the same thing, nothings changed at all. Ill hammer on it and itll just start running like crap, i wish i could tell ya what it sounds like, but it died twice on me in about a 20 min ride. Is there anyway the pamco unit could be bad or just not run properly? Im running out of ideas. I dont think its the capacitor because the bike did the same stuff even when i had a battery on it too.

Back