Mr Fix It

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I was talking to fellow forum member Daniel Black a few weeks ago about how we now live in a throw away society, for Daniel fixing up his 650 is a way to challenge that norm. It used to be that every town had an all around fix it shop, TV repair shops, shoe repair, vacuum repair, and on and on.
image.jpeg

That brings me to the point of this little story. The other day my wife was on the treadmill in another room and I heard the treadmill abruptly shut off followed by " Aww man! , my treadmill just stopped!"
I went to look at it and it would run slowly with no weight on it, but when you stepped on it , it would quit.
Well, I said, it looks like the motor is shot.
I went online to look at new treadmills and they're anywhere from $600 to easily over $1000.
So I then thought , let's see what repairing it might cost. I looked up typical repairs and you're looking at $200 for a new motor plus $100 for a new belt , plus labor.
Then I thought, I might be able to repair that motor, even though I've never been inside an electric motor before.
I pulled the motor and broke it down on my bench and this is what I found. The commutator was burned and scored, and the brushes were shot and everything inside that motor was filthy.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I chucked up the armature in my drill, so I could spin it, and I held 800 grit sand paper up against the commutator with a small block of wood.

I was able to clean up and remove all the scoring. Then I did a final clean up with electrical contact cleaner.
image.jpeg

I then used my ohm meter to check the windings , following instructions I found on YouTube. ( I love YouTube!) Everything checked out, no shorts or open circuits.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I used a few drops of 3 in One oil in the bearings on both ends. I measured the brushes and ordered some generic replacement carbon brushes from eBay for the princely sum of $4. I couldn't find the exact size, the ones I ordered were 1 mm too thick, so when they arrived, I simply sanded down the thick side until they fit into the holders.
Got everything re assembled and here is my test, with me on the treadmill.

Success! Cost me Four Dollars! And a few hours of my time. And it was a fun little project to boot!

image.jpeg

See the value of an XS650 i way more than what it cost you, saving you more money every day.................Bet you that before you bought and restored the XS you would have been more inclined to throw it away or spend the $200 or more getting it repaired....................Now that's a good excuse for the wife to allow you to get another bike.........Ye...Ha

See the value of an XS650 i way more than what it cost you, saving you more money every day.................Bet you that before you bought and restored the XS you would have been more inclined to throw it away or spend the $200 or more getting it repaired....................Now that's a good excuse for the wife to allow you to get another bike.........Ye...Ha

Ha! You are so wise! I would not have attempted this job before the experience I've gained with the help of this forum. Going through all the electrical system on my bike, ESPECIALLY the charging system gave me the confidence to tackle this job.
As a bonus the Mrs. was duly impressed! Haha!
" Oh honey, seeing as I just saved us a $1000 for a new treadmill, I've had my eye on a new project! "
You think that'd work? :)

HAHAHA ! Bob.... it's doubtful that that strategy will work but what have you got to loose by trying !
I am Happy for you ! your attention to detail has proven yet again that you can do it yourself.....
Next ...fix the car ! think of it as just a more complicated Bike ! HAHAHAHAH !
Bob.......

Well done on repairing the tread mill:cheers:
This is just an example of the many items that can be repaired rather easily. Brushes are a wear item. Commutators are simple to clean up.

During my life time, I have always done my own maintenance on my cars, trucks, motorcycles, house hold appliances, etc.
Last year my garage door broke one of the springs. I replaced both springs with new ones, and also replaced the lifting steel cables and the support bearings. These are easy jobs if you are mechanically inclined.

About 3 months ago, my daughter called saying she had to store food in our freezer because her fridge quit working. Her husband said the compressor motor must be defective. I did some investigation and found the thermal over load on the compressor motor had burnt up. Further investigation found that the freezer door hinges had moved enough that the freezer door was not closing fully,.
This meant the compressor motor had been running constantly for several days, and this caused the thermal overload to burn up.
I re-adjusted the hinges and installed a new thermal over load. The fridge runs perfect once again.

Well done RG ! Refrigerators and I don't get along ! .....they taunt me ! I know enough about them to be dangerous and that's about it....
but being on the Ranch forced me to try and repair everything..... the ser-vale refrigerator (( sp.) non electric Propane powered type) quit working. so.... I pulled the back panel off it to see what I could find... the pilot would not stay lit....so I know from propane water heaters that usually means thermocouple.... we had another one in the kitchen junk drawer....oddly enough! so I put it in..... presto the pilot stayed on and soon it kicked in and started working like it should.... from that day on My Mother found all sorts of things for me to repair !
her sewing machine, not the electric one, the old treadle type one that she liked to use instead of the zig zag fancy one....
that one was simple just needed cleaned and lubed so the belt would quit slipping.... then the Zig-zag that wasn't so simple... it's adjustments were out of whack and would not pick up the bobbin thread.... after I finally found the adjustment screw it was simple but on that thing you don't dare touch the wrong screw and there are at least 50 adjustment screws in there ! , got that working after a few tests where it skipped so it needed more.... finally got it spot on ! I felt good about that one ! ...a stand alone roll away type dishwasher, that always leaked sense she got it..... fixed that, lubed the extremely DRY motor and moved on the to the next one ! it went like that till everything on the property was running and working good enough to use !!!! from Rototiller to lawn tractor , from old Fergie tractor to 150KW 4 cyl Hospital generator.
when she Pointed to the Old wore out cars I started backing up ! and exclaimed there is a reason their Parked Mom their wore out !
well, she said see what it will take to fix'em and then we'll see if it's worth it.... so from then on it was Repair if feasible ! and many things didn't make the grade, it simply cost more to repair than it was worth..... that method has hung with me all my life.... Most of the Cars I've owned reach that category fairly fast ! LOL
..... it does give you a sense of accomplishment though .... repairing something that would normally be thrown out. not to mention the money you saved from not going out and buying another..... in My case that is hardly ever an option...so I try my darndest to get something useable again come heck or High water ! because it's do it or do without most of the time..... that will make a Mr.Fix it out of you in short order ! LOL
Bob.....

Mailman,
I keep telling the wife, "The more tools I have, the more stuff I can fix.". Yeah, she doesn't buy it either, but, those tools allow me to putter, tinker, and occasionally fix something useful. For instance, who else has a 23+ year old washing machine that still works? Ten years ago, when I went back to where I bought it, to get a replacement belt, I gave them the model number and everything, and they said "You still have it, and it works?" The dishwasher quit. They said it was a $350.00 "brain box" board. How about the $0.99 outlet the machine was plugged into? My snow blower is over 20 years old, and it runs like a watch (the kind you wind up). Sure, I've had to turn a wrench on it over the years, but the old monster doesn't owe me a dime. My in-laws' vacuum cleaner had a broken part in the beater-bar head. I looked it up on the inter-web. $40.00 later, their $400.00 vacuum is back in business. We DON'T have to live in a disposable world. If you can find the parts (or make them), anything that can be taken apart can be repaired. And if you can't fix it, it was broken anyways!

59Tebo: Yes that is it in a nut shell.... if it's broken anyway,..... what have you got to Loose by trying to fix it yourself...!!!!!!
.... what I hate is trying to fix anything that was never designed to be repaired..... glued on parts that cannot be removed without destroying the housing.....motors that are Riveted together but that have brushes in them !.... the list goes on and On.... when I run into those I try to find replacement parts or devise a way to still make it work....somehow
..... I saw a sweet repair on a Pellet Stove that the circuit board burnt out on ..... they wanted over $2000. just for the circuit board and the guy
laughed at them and took the stove home.... he added a home made 555 timer i.C. for the Auger control and about 6 toggle switches
and all the safety features were still working in the stove....
...... now that is Home repair ! LOL
.....( I noticed that because I think the circuit board is going away on my Pellet stove.....)
Bob.........

Odd how much "modern tech" facilitates old tech. Before the internet what are were the odds that you could find info on how to repair the item, the parts numbers with cross references and a replacement part lickety split and cheap to boot. I been fix'n and wrench'n my whole life learned at my daddy's side and never stopped. I always tear down any "doesn't work" before replacing, often a cheap kludge keeps r going. If not I put up an honest craigs ad with about what the problem is (or at least isn't) for cheap or free and mostly it gets carted off by someone who knows how to fix what's wrong. Gave up on an LCD TV, local guy had me deliver it ($5.00 total) he called back 3 days later cause he was proud he fixed it. I buy "broken" stuff the same way, fix and use.
I changed out a toilet paper roll...
Your wife says you got it on backwards.

Getting older, started watching for a deal on cremations....... Found one too, they even pick up state wide!

Bob Kelly...............".motors that are Riveted together but that have brushes in them !.."

I've never seen that. Because brushes are a wear item, they always have access for replacement.

RG : mainly in really Cheap things.... I've seen it several times but thank god it's not Common place ....Yet !
....usually it's just the Motor Can (enclosure) that is riveted on.... pull that off and there is the normal motor inside with screws holding it together.... but not always.
found one like that on a circular saw that bit the dust.... armature went bad.
the Cheepie angle grinders have brushes in them but the Brush holders are a PITA...
plastic crap that pop out and don't want to go back into the same place.... that's where crazy glue come in at...... I replaced the brushes used it 2 times and then the armature went bad.... ...I still have an angle grinder on the wall that doesn't work... I'm going to try the new brushes I got from China on it one of these days.....
Bob.....

Last edited:
Now a Viking funeral is something I could get behind! Do you think you could get a Viking boat at Cabellas?
image.jpeg

You know the EPA would have a few words with the family about the Viking funeral afterwards.....Emissions and all....

Shhhhhh ! be quiet about that or they will outlaw Cremation and everyone will be forced to pay $8000.00 for a box and 12 sqr ft of ground!
Bob.......

Back