My 79' Street Tracker Build?

So I just stopped by the bike shop to pick up my wheels. I have mags and im trying to mount 19x4 and 16x5 Firestone deluxe champions on them. They got the back tire and tube on, but the tube keeps popping on the front tire when they fill it up.... i guess the valley in the middle of the rim is too deep and cuts the tube everytime you fill it up.

Does anyone know if there is a special tube for this? I have seen tons of xs's with mags and firestones... why cant this shop get the tube on?

Anyone know of a good motorcycle tire shop in RI?

Im running kenda challengers on my XS with stock mags, there's tubes inside them, the shop never had an issue installing them. Maybe try using a rim strip like you would on a spoke wheel with a tube

Thats what i thought...

I guess the tube wasnt getting cut... but the valve stem was pulling away front the tube through the valve stem hole in the mag... I dont know, ive never mounted tires on a motorbike before, but this doesnt seem impossible.

Just need to find a different shop it sounds like...

Make sure they don't tighten the valve stem down untill the tire is all the way on. I went through 4 tubes mounting my maxxis DTR-1'S

Well i took the wheel and tire to another guy that is supposed to be 'the man'....

He looked at it and literally said "thats gonna be a pain in my ass to mount". Then said he wouldnt do it. He said if i had a 19x3 tubeless it would be fine...

So i have the back tire on and mounted, but no one will mount the front... Should I change over to spokes?

Anyone got a set of spoke wheels for sale? Please!?

I really dont know what to do now. I could get a set of spokes, or get a different front tire and run mismatched.... I dont think the place i bought the tire from will take it back if its been mounted already... *sigh*

f-it im goin bowlin!

Got the back wheel ready to be put on the bike. Mounted the rear fender but I still need to drill some holes to mount it. Brakes are almost ready to be tightened up and bled. Tomorrow I think im going to cut and fit the chain. Hopefully I dont have any issues with the chain slapping the swingarm with that smaller sprocket in the rear.

Found a shop that should be able to mount my front tire. The kind of bad mouthed the shop that tried to do it, so hopefully they know what they are doing. Cross my fingers....

Yami+306.jpg

Yami+307.jpg

Yami+303.jpg

Yami+301.jpg

Yami+302.jpg

Yami+300.jpg

Yami+305.jpg

Yami+309.jpg

Yami+304.jpg

Well i finally got the front wheel mounted. Althought when I got it back from the shop there were bubbles coming from the valve stem... hopefully they were just from air trapped between the tire and the tube, and not the tube going flat... Its coming together now.... lots of little stuff to build...

Yami+353.jpg

Yami+354.jpg

Yami+356.jpg

Yami+358.jpg

Yami+352.jpg

Yami+350.jpg

Yami+351.jpg

Thanks man! Anyone know if I should be worried about running this small of a rear sprocket? I think i went 3 or 4 teeth smaller on the rear, but kept the front sprocket stock. The motor is 750cc with a valve job, but it should keep on on the highway right?

I had the 17/32 sprockets for awhile. I have 17/30 on right now. Even with the 750 kit the 17/30 is a bit high for all around riding. The 17/32 is prety good all around. If you do mostly intown the 17/34 is good, if you do mostly highway riding the 17/30 is good.

westonboege, Great looking bike - I am inspired, I was going to chop mine, not so sure now after seeing your progress.

I have a few questions 1.How have you mounted up your seat. 2. You obviously intend running with improvised sidecovers (tabs on frame) to hide wiring etc..??

Also has anyone run with the Mikesxs Keihin carb set-up eith the standard sidecovers on - mines a 76 - will they fit..??

Don't want to hi-jack your thread - if I have anymore questions I will PM you.

Cheers.

Thanks hotdog... I have the seat mounted right under the gas tank bolt. I welded a tongue on coming from the bottom of the seat pan and bolted to the bottom of that plate that your gas tank bolts to from the top... Its just sitting on there in the pictures because i'm going to re-build the tongue to fit a little better. Im still figuring out the rear seat mounts. I might build some straps that hold the seat down.

I had some side covers that I made for this bike, but I think im gonna ditch them and just go with an exposed battery box that im going to make sometime this weekend hopefully....

Ive never ran the Keihin carbs.. but the side covers are pretty big. The filters would most likely be the thing that wouldnt fit very well... at least for the side covers that came on this 79 when it was stock.... Someone here has probably used them and know better than me though...

Well spent quite a while in the shop last night getting the battery box a little farther along. Gotta fit it a few more times and get it mounted. The start the wiring... getting closer and closer.

Batt+Box+01.jpg

Batt+Box+02.jpg

Batt+Box+03.jpg

Well I finished drilling some holes in the battery box for the reg/rectifier. And welded a bracket on the front of the batt box to mount the stock ignition switch to.

Batt+Box+007.jpg

Batt+Box+008.jpg

Batt+Box+009.jpg

Finally got the new bars, grips, and air filter in the mail. Should have the tailight tomorrow....

Also got the ignition module wired in, and mounted the coil under the tank. Ignition is wired, just have to solder some wires to the alternator and set up some ground wires and it will be ready to start. Gonna buy some oil tomorrow and shoot for getting it running this weekend.

Bars+001.jpg

Bars+002.jpg

Back