My 79' Street Tracker Build?

That will be a good bike to start with, as far as a good price I can't really say. Price depends on location as much as condition.
In your area that may be a good price. Sounds like it has had a lot done to it.
The 77 was one of the later years of the Standards. The 76-77 carbs are one of the better years of the BS38's. The spoked wheels with the alloy rims are strong and lighter weight than mags and look more old school Tracker.
The TCI is a good ignition, it is 30+ years old and is getting to it's end of life phase. It may run for years with no trouble or start acting up soon. Read up on repairs to the TCI box.
There are several after market ignitions out there, read up on them.
If the bike is clean and in good repair I wouldn't let the ignition deter me.
A little research on the XS650 on here and on Craig's list, Ebay and the local want ads, will give you a better idea of a fair price.
Starting with a sound bike is most important. All the work done on it, how much fits your plan? Most of the parts of this or any bike you do start with that you don't use can be sold to help finance you build.
Leo

Hi,

New to the forum. Hope you or someone can answer a few questions.
Did you have the seat custom made? If so who did it if not were did you get it?
Is the head light the original? if not what brand?

Thanks in advance

Rob

Just gotta say. 1st. this is my first post after lurking for a few weeks. I picked up an 84 Heritage special and am learning how to ride.

2nd: this bike is amazing and a huge inspiration for what I have in my head.

Been building cars for years, but this is my first bike.

Thanks!

should have asked this on page #2 of this thread - where did you get your seat from for this build...?

I made the seat... Its kind of a PITA... I welded a pocket in front for the tank mount to hide under... and then welded another pocket for the rear fender to tuck into so that the seat sits flat, and the fender can still be tucked under the rear loop bar.

I foamed the seat, but had a local upholstery guy do the vinyl....

Havent checked this thread in a while... Tires handle fine... im not draggin pegs anywhere... but i have had no problems with them the way I ride... Occasional tear up to 90 for a short time... and constant cruising at 65-75... I get spirited in the twisties with it, but dont push too hard most of the time... try to keep the dirty side down...

I think the fender is from an old model a ford. I believe it is a spare tire fender... Friend gave it to me out his garage...

Hey westonboege,

I just wanted to say that your bike looks sick! And I just wanted to know about your shocks and forks? It looks like you move your forks up a bit in the clamps, what shocks did you use? Or is it just the tires that give it that stance?

Thanks!!
Huff:thumbsup:

Well I finished drilling some holes in the battery box for the reg/rectifier. And welded a bracket on the front of the batt box to mount the stock ignition switch to.

View attachment 313260

View attachment 313261

View attachment 313262

Finally got the new bars, grips, and air filter in the mail. Should have the tailight tomorrow....

Also got the ignition module wired in, and mounted the coil under the tank. Ignition is wired, just have to solder some wires to the alternator and set up some ground wires and it will be ready to start. Gonna buy some oil tomorrow and shoot for getting it running this weekend.

View attachment 313263

View attachment 313264

Amazing work weston...really inspiring to built one

Back