My 79' Street Tracker Build?

Bro sick build.

Are you running the factory charging system? What size is the rear tire?

Well I spent most of the weekend in the shop. Finished the battery box, and painted it. Went out and got most of the hardware and wiring supplies that I needed. Threw the old harness on the bike and hooked it up to make sure everything was working. Cut all of the old harness out and made my own harness matching it. Took longer than I wanted but I hate wiring.

Checked for spark and it was getting it. Threw some gas in it and took it outside and it fired up second kick!! Warmed it up and shut it down. Let it cool as I worked on it more finishing some things up. Then I just took it out for a spin around the block. Felt pretty good. Clutch needs to get broken in some, and the carbs are acting funny. I think my fuel lines are feeding quite right. That and i have to balance the carbs better.

But the thing scoots! Have to take it out again after work tomorrow and work some more bugs out of it...

Here are some more pics.... almost there..

Wiring+001.jpg

Wiring+002.jpg

Wiring+003.jpg

Wiring+004.jpg

Wiring+005.jpg

Wiring+006.jpg

Here it is mostly finished. Just Have to conncect the master cylinder and resevoir for the rear brake and bleed it. Then there will be nothing left to do but tune it and get it running top...

Well get better pictures once its fully on the road.

final+001.jpg

final+006.jpg

final+005.jpg

final+002.jpg

final+003.jpg

final+004.jpg

Yeah... i love the wrenchmonkees stuff... got another kz750 that looks pretty wm too. To me its not really wm style, but its just a motorcycle. No extra crap on it or anything that doesnt need to be there...

I think im gonna start building a cafe next... and then work on my hardtail triumph...

blackbetty: Im running basically the stock charging system with a combo reg/rec. Basically i have one wire running to the front for the headlight, one for the coil, and two for the front brake switch. Pretty minimal harness.

Rear tire is 16x5

Im, not sure but I think the color is all wrong. It would probobly look better in hot pink and lime green. pink wheels and green tank. you may have to start over. the sprocket combo sounds good though considering the boost in power. you may have to paint the sprocket green to go with the tank after.lime green.

hahaha... some good suggestions... where were you when i painted it the first time? Maybe hot pink with lime green ghost flames...

Now i gotta get on the phone with Thomas Racing... that guy is killing me...

Superimpressed! Really nice that you're good with the camera aswell. One of the best build I've seen so far. It's a damn shame that you need electrics at all :) They look so clean without it.

is she on the road yet,looks great by the way.hope to see you two out this summer. heading to new york next week and newhampsire week after that. will be back middle of june. maybe you can run it buy suzy-Q on tuesday nights.

I just sent the motor back to indiana for the guy to fix the gear selector. I rode the bike once and there is no 4th or 5th gear... he has to pull the cases apart and fix it then ship it back to me... sucks...

Hopefully he will turn it around quick and I can put some miles on it this summer... it was fun up to 35-45 mph though.... heh..

been blastin on the kawasaki lately... thats an ongoing project as well... fighting some carb issues again... cant seem to find any jets for that bike... got a bunch of maintenance parts coming for that... im probably too excited to change exhaust gaskets, wheel bearings, and clutch cables, but I am... Ill have to ride that over to suzy qs some time..

ouch that sucks., for that kind of agravation you would of been better of rebuilding it yourself. you can always join us for trip up north .camping on kangomangis. hwy for laconia week. lake george the week before. americade event. ride up have some beers.

I should... I was trying to ride in that Greasebag Jamboree this summer and hopefully the gypsy run later this fall... I think the Greasebag is around the same time as Laconia... ?

Anyways... still trying to decide if the Kawasaki will make it on that long of a trip... The Yamaha should as long as i get the motor back in time... took 6 months to get it originally... Sigh.

Nice work...really.
Hey I am new the this gig as I have done just about every type of motorcycle riding and I feel like I am coming back to my original roots...flat track racing. The idea of building a street tracker really appeals to me. I was hoping someone out there could suggest which model years are best to search for to build my bike from. CDI ignition is a must and I prefer the mag wheel models. I am wide open to suggestions and I can't wait to sell my bagger and start having fun again. My Harley friends are going to freak..I love it!

Most any of the standard models from 74 up will work fine, the later Special models work ok too. The big thing is the upper shock mount on the frame, on the Specials it is farther forward than the standards. This was done to give the shock a more layed down look to copy Harley.
Mag wheels can be used on any of these years. The only bit of hassle will be the brakes. Mags came with drum and disc brakes. If you have a drum brake bike it is easier to just swap drum brake mag in than convert to disc.
They rear disc brake mag wheels were used from late 78 to 80, in 81 they used a drum brake mag. In 82 they weht to spoked drum brake rears with 48 spokes and a 19 inch 48 spoke disc up front. All the earlier years used 18 inch spoked drum rears. the 70-71 used a drum 19 inch front, in 72 they started with disc up front, in 73 they redsigned the way the disc mounted on the wheel.
All the mag rear wheels are 16 inch, the trackers look better with an 18 or 19 inch rear wheel. If you do a bit of searching you will find info on how to use a Mag front wheel on the rear.
One more thing, there was never a CDI used on any stock XS650. It was a TCI.
Converting from the points of early models to an electronic ignition is easy. So don't let that stop you from buying.
Leo

Leo:
Thanks for replying to my open question; your insight is greatly appreciated.
I have found a 1977 XS 650 with a 81 engine with TCI ignition, it has Akront type aluminum rims, stainless spokes, dual disc's up front, progressive fork springs, new chrome for $2k. Is this a fair price and a good model to build from?

Back