My "between projects" project.

Would watching a replicator spit out a part be as satisfying as creating the part with your own two hands and your imagination.

This is an important question to ask. No doubt there is still an element of craftmanship with 3D printing. Even if you are not designing your own parts, often times there is "post-print processing" which is removing support, trimming, combining with other pieces, painting, etc... So still hands on work, but not quite the same as creating something from nothing. Like I said earlier, a tool in the toolbox.

@Jim Thingiverse is the largest repository of free 3D designs. Over 1.5 million designs last time I checked.

One good thing about Winter, I get bored enough to get persistent. I'm slowly catching on to how TinkerCAD works. I found some Ewe Toob tutorials that are MUCH better than the "lessons" that came with the program.

I may just dip my tootsies into this printing thing after all. Depends mostly on how good Uncle IRS is to me after the first of the year.

Not quite an XS, but maybe a good place to start:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2762131/makes

upload_2020-12-16_16-58-10.png

steamchest.jpg

First successful effort to turn a sketch into a 3D drawing. I'm planning to build a 1:64 steam engine and I think I'll try 3D printing some of the more complex parts.

Questions for Rhy - How stable/level does the surface the 3D printer is setting on need to be? How temperature/moisture sensitive is it? Are there odors from the process (hot plastic)? Reason I ask that I expect it'll need to go in the basement both for convenience and to prevent issues with SWMBO and her sensitive proboscis. Basement can be quite damp and stays between 50° and 60°F year around.

Questions for Rhy

Looking good! I hate to say it, but printers are somewhat sensitive to humidity. Not so much the printer, but the plastic filament. Most filaments are very hygroscopic. When they absorb too much water they can swell and cause issue running through the machine. This is not so much of a problem in a dry house, but I think a damp basement would be pushing it.

Printers control their own temps on the nozzle and the bed, so I don't think the lower temp would be too big of a deal. The good news is that most filaments (i.e. types of plastic) make very little to no odor - even for the most sensitive sniffers. For modeling I would recommend Polylactic Acid (PLA) filament. It is very easy to print with and makes no odor. I will routinely sit by the printer in operation with my 6 month old baby girl if that tells you anything. Stay away from ABS filament, as it does have a bad stink to it when heated and is generally more difficult to print with.

A quick suggestion for your 3D modeling. Increase the numbers of "Sides" on your pieces to get a more uniform circle:

upload_2020-12-17_20-30-40.png

Also, I would play around with the "Import" feature if you have not already. You can directly import an existing 3D file and manipulate it. This is often what I do when designing. Stand on the shoulders of people who are much better 3D designers!

upload_2020-12-17_20-37-8.png

I "designed" this handy solder station by finding design that I liked, then stretching and pulling and making new holes until it fit my equipment perfectly.

My offer still stands to print some test pieces for you to evaluate before investing in a printer, just let me know! I would hate to get you into this and have you be disappointed by the outcome. Although it may be well into the New Year by the time they get to you. USPS seems to be falling apart at the seams! I am dying to work on my engine build, but all of my pieces are stuck outside of Florida... now six days overdue and I live in Missouri!

Rhy - Thanks for all the good information. I was aware of the "number of sides" thing, just didn't bother for a first rough pass. I've been doing the tutorials on promoambitions.com

Sounds like the basement is out. I'll need to find a place in my office/den/computer room/man cave I guess.

I see a USB connection on the Creality 3D to connect to the computer. I also see what appears to be a memory card slot. Is it possible to copy the sliced design to a card and print independent of the computer? That would open up my location choices considerably.

Steamer Left Side .jpg

And here is my next challenge in 1:64 A cyber-friend of mine from PA was kind enough to go to the Rough and Tumble showgrounds storage facility and take a raft of pictures and send me a list of major dimensions.

LOTS of opportunity to 3D some of the more complex components while scratch-building the rest of it.

View attachment 180957

And here is my next challenge in 1:64 A cyber-friend of mine from PA was kind enough to go to the Rough and Tumble showgrounds storage facility and take a raft of pictures and send me a list of major dimensions.

LOTS of opportunity to 3D some of the more complex components while scratch-building the rest of it.
cool! my dad took us to Rough & Tumble when I was a kid. All I remember distinctly is meeting this dude who would pick up his cat by the tail and swing it up into his arms. Weird guy, weird cat.

Woooooo, my printer arrived! A day EARLY!. I'd have been tickled had it arrived on time given the season and the circumstances. Early is a bona fide miracle!

I do believe I'll put off assembling it until tomorrow, both to let things get to room temp and because doing things like that when I'm tired NEVER ends well.

Senior Chiefs have patience?
Who knew.... :poke:

I know, right?

3dog.jpg

Actual print time about an hour and 15 minutes. The base took most of that. Time estimate kept dropping as the print progressed. It's about an inch high and the base is about 2 inches in diameter and 1/4 inch thick. I'm VERY impressed with the finish.

I'll start a print on one of my own objects this morning and see what we see. I'd estimate the actual volume of material deposited will be about the same or maybe a bit less, so hoping for a print time around 2 hours.

test1.jpg

Test prints of my own designs.

The front axle/steering pedestal came out well enough to use with a bit of sanding.

The rear wheel was about 90% successful. The main problem is the spokes. The ones that printed on the bed surface are fine. The ones on the "top" of the wheel didn't have enough support and didn't all connect to the rim, plus left strings all over. I tried a couple of different set ups with much the same results.

I'm thinking the solution is to print the wheels in halves so both sets of spokes are supported by the bed surface. Then I can clock them to offset the spokes and glue them together. About to try that.

The good news is that these small objects print in under 30 minutes.

Back