My "between projects" project.

wheels.jpg

MUCH better. A bit of sanding and we're good to go.

steamer3.jpg

Wheels, stack/headlight, front axle and pedestal, steam dome, water barrels and coal box all printed on the 3D printer. The rest is built from various plastic sheet and shapes.

Took 4 tries on the rear wheels and 3 on the front to get results I was pleased with. I initially tried to print the wheels and spokes as a unit on the rear, but the spokes didn't always connect to the rim as they were unsupported during the print process. Then I attempted printing the wheels in two halves so the spokes were supported by the bed of the printer which worked, but gluing them together was problematic due to delicacy of the spokes and warping of the rims as they cooled.

Wound up printing the rims separately and printing 4 sets of spokes (inner and outer for two wheels) on the bed and printed the spokes bigger than I really liked so they weren't so delicate.

The stack came out perfect first shot, as did pretty much everything else.

Long way to go yet, but it's getting there. Looking at the picture, the stack/headlight print looks a little out of scale - too big. Might scale that down a bit and re-print it.

Link if you can't see the picture: http://www.eastovershoe.com/diorama/steamer/steamer3.jpg

Nice! How's the finish texture?

Remarkably good. I was a little concerned about that based on the sample Rhy printed out for me but it appears that (as he mentioned) that was mostly due to the material he used. I'm printing with PLA and using a .01mm layer thickness. Takes longer to print but the finish is very good. Minimal sanding required.

Well, that answers THAT question!

Last couple of days, I've been having trouble with the printer. Objects not adhering to the base, nozzle dragging partial prints and ruining them.

Put a fresh nozzle on, no change. Re-leveled the bed, some improvement but still getting bad prints.

Read a couple of blogs and adjusted nozzle temperature and bed temperature. Most of the comments I read advocated LOWER temperatures on both. WRONG! Problem got MUCH worse.

Then my new reel of SunLu PLA filament arrived. Read the data that came with it. Jacked the nozzle and bed temps UP about 10° C from the presets. That and the new PLA and all is well. HUGE difference with the SunLu PLA vs. whatever that stuff was that came with the printer.

I was getting pretty frustrated after 2 days of dicking with it, but we're back in business now.

Well, poop. The above was part of the problem, but it was still lifting the prints on one corner.

Some more reading and got slapped upside the head with the obvious solution: CLEAN THE EFFIN' TABLE!!!

The default printing position is in the center of the table and I've printed a couple of dozen things. That leaves some residue. Add to that oily finger prints from removing the prints and general dicking around and the table gets a lovely coating of glop.

Three paper towels and a generous helping of isopropyl alcohol removed an embarrassing amount of yellow snot and a relatively complex print came out perfectly.

It's a good thing stoopid doesn't hurt...usually...

It's a good thing stoopid doesn't hurt...usually...

Well that sure don't go for test riding an XS650 with decades old tires on a very cold blacktop driveway! I learned that the hard way a couple years back! And add to it of touching the front brake with a recently resurfaced disk!

Did get a new upper right front tooth out of it and a scar on left shin!

Well that sure don't go for test riding an XS650 with decades old tires on a very cold blacktop driveway! I learned that the hard way a couple years back! And add to it of touching the front brake with a recently resurfaced disk!

Did get a new upper right front tooth out of it and a scar on left shin!

Yup, almost as good as the time I rode the FJ to an antique motorcycle show, parked on the grass, got my boot hung up on the tail bag and landed on my ass with the FJ on top of me in front of about 50 witnesses...

WOW - I am very impressed DE - you're really getting the hang of this.

I don't have a ton of personal experience with 3-D printing but when I was involved with the local public library board we brought in several printers for cool Tech Hub for teen type activities. One of the librarians really took it on and over the last 10 years she has become very expert at troubleshooting our printers. She has told me that the material (as well as process variables such as nozzle and platen temperature) are really important. As Rhy said, some of the materials are very sensitive to moisture in particular. I have been told that spending a little bit more on the materials can make a world of difference in the ease of processing and the surface finish on the part.

Anyhow - this thread definitely rates:
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

All this talk of these 3-D printers reminds me of the time many years ago, over 20 years as it was my first wife, well the medical instrument company down the road where she worked as the head of incoming inspection got one of the first 3-D printers! Back then only the very top people in the design shop were allowed to even touch it!

I'm even more restrictive than that. Only THE top designer and owner of THIS shop is allowed! :smoke:

Thats ZACKLEY right DE - don’t let any cranky old squid just walk up and start twiddling the knobs on that new machine! Gawd only knows how they might mess it up.

sf1.jpg

sf2.jpg

I thought the steamer was finished, but looking at the pictures, I'm not at all happy with the paint. I tried using acrylics for the red and it just isn't working. Some sanding and repainting is on the schedule.

dio2.jpg

dio3.jpg

dio4.jpg

I am reasonably pleased with some overall shots of the diorama.

Back