My Build thread - 1980 XS650 Special II

Hmm I think I might have a question almost just for XSJohn.... Since he's the one who's always preaching about smaller rear sprockets!? I'm not opposed to the smaller rear sprocket, but what I am concerned about is getting like a 30 tooth and the engine straining to pull my weight (anywhere between 210-250 given a certain year) Plus the bikes weight. What do you think John? I'm liking the idea of it being a smoother ride and I don't need/want anything that will pop wheelies, but I don't want to have something that is pretty difficult to take off on either.

ALSO, I am wondering about upgrading the rear rim as well. 2.50" x 18 x 36 hole Rear Rim from mikes. What size tired would I run if I were trying to maintain the physical size of the 16" rear. The tire I'm currently running is 130 wide and 90 aspect ratio. Would I go to a 70 aspect? or what?

Last edited:
Well it's about time for an update. I'm not supposed to bend over or pick up anything over 25lbs (nose surgery), but I kind of did anyway. When I say kind of. Well I did. Yesterday, I put finally painted and mounted the rear fender. Not feeling accomplished enough. I picked up the engine and put it back in last night. Here's a few photos I snapped of the progress of the final rebuild.

Last edited:
I like the shorter forks for sure. Also I hope that the pre-mixed long Islands are for the cheerleader otherwise we are going have to assemble court to review the man card.

Actually, that's just the box they gave me whenever I went to the liquor store. I bought quite a bit so I needed something to put it all in. :D

Yeah I think I like the shorter forks. I'm also almost certain I'm going to swap to the 21" front wheel. I just don't know how soon.

Then again. I hate xs650choppers. I saw this one on there today. Now I really want to swap to the 18" wide rear on front and back. DAMNIT :banghead:

1712763193504.png

Actually, that's just the box they gave me whenever I went to the liquor store. I bought quite a bit so I needed something to put it all in. :D

Yeah I think I like the shorter forks. I'm also almost certain I'm going to swap to the 21" front wheel. I just don't know how soon.

Then again. I hate xs650choppers. I saw this one on there today. Now I really want to swap to the 18" wide rear on front and back. DAMNIT :banghead:

View attachment 322965

The bike pictured has 16" wheels...

The bike pictured has 16" wheels...

Yeah I know, but the 18" wheel would give me a higher stance and I could slam the front end down more. Although doing the 16" set up would be cheaper since my rear is already the 16". I originally saw this bike on youtube and asked the guy what he used. Harley 16"x3.5" with dunlop 404 16x150 tires.

Here it is on youtube (finished)

Sorter forks much better! The other ones you would have to get the gunner bars lol! Looks more like a bad ass motorcycle with the short forks. Good job! I got the frame back today and my buddy coming over to help with motor (don't want to scratch the frame!)

Sorter forks much better! The other ones you would have to get the gunner bars lol! Looks more like a bad ass motorcycle with the short forks. Good job! I got the frame back today and my buddy coming over to help with motor (don't want to scratch the frame!)

Yeah I didn't worry about that as much as my nose exploding! Ha. That's the beauty of flat black! Hides all my little indiscretions.

What happend to yer nose? Why did u need surgery? I realized the high gloss black you have to be nice to it. It's appoxy paint so it should be great when hardened completely.

I broke it 3 times. And it never really set right. So I had to pay a dr to take a chisel and hammer to it and try to fix it. I had a bone spur growing on the last break.

Last edited:
I broke it 3 times. And it never really set right. So I had to pay a dr to take a chisel and hammer to it and try to fix it. I had a bone spur growing on the last break.

lmao! and then you picked up something just a little heavier than 25 lbs.: the ENGINE!

I really like how your bike is looking. Hope to find springs like those for my seat.
:thumbsup:

Yeah... Well the fear is that when bending over and/or lifting something over 25lbs I could pressurize the stitching and tear or pop them open, but I don't think anything happened!

Thanks! If you do find springs like mine for cheap let me know. Because the place I got mine from wasn't cheap that's for sure.

only thing I've seen - maybe not the same as yours, was these...scroll down just a bit..
http://www.bitterendchoppers.com/SeatBuilders.html

Yeah those are cheaper! Although I got the mounting hardware, too. I bought 2 springs with mounting hardware for $125 from choppershox.com they are supposedly they upper end of those springs.

That suuucks! I pulled a leg muscle on my build, still wierd sometimes. You got the bug sticking that motor in there after surgery, nice!

Yeah. I got the shunts out today anyhow though. So full sail ahead!!

I"m not john but Assuming u have the stock countershaft sprocket U should do a 30 in the rear even a 29 would be alright.If u stay with a 34 u wont wanna go over 50mph because you"ll feel like your nice new engine is gonna explode.I think that's what John was getting at in his post a few pages back where no one knew what he was talking about.I"m 6'2 200lbs and have no problem running 17-30 I mean I cant do wheelies anymore but I would rather be able to cruise at 65.The reason I keep the 17 in the front is the fact that with an 18 u have to remove the chain rest that holds your stator wires nice and tight and away from the chain and sprocket. You've done a lot of work on your bike and it shows.Also I remember mr.riggs doing all his experiments in the begining and have also benefitted from his hard work the Pma mod is the bomb got it on all my bikes no problems after some years now

Back