My First Post! Question Too about a 72?

Frankenstein

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey all, my first post here. I started my first xs650 build this last fall and slowly banged away over the winter and spring in my little free time. I am trying to wire it now. My question is I think my block is a 72 maybe someone can tell me for sure or how to find out. I have searched and found stuff but I am not for sure I think it's a 72 here is the serial number (S650-108710)

Also what do you recommend with this model using the starter or going kick only, thanks for any help in advance all, happy to be aboard.

So is there any way of knowing if it's a late 71 or a 72? Reason I ask is it looks like the carb set up is from a 71 going by the stats on mikesxs.net?

Anythoughts as to why there wouldn't be any gears inside from the starter to the drive gear? Someone doing incomplete work? Late model 71's maybe have the area for a starter but it was an option?

Confused, thanks.

Sorry I am no expert on early engines. Just that a long time has passed since your bike left the factory, hard to tell what all has gone on in that time. keep watching, parts engines show up a on craigslist frequently, there were just three early engines in southern Illinois.

- as far as im aware they changed the early cases slightly several times, most changes were relatively cosmetic and had to do with strengthening around the cylinder base
- 256 motors...XS1-XS1F...changes from
#000101..XS1
#001235..XS1
#003430..XS1-XS1F
#022833..XS1F
- 306 motors...XS2...from #100101 had the e-starter cases

- one of the XS1F changes-not sure which one
file.jpg

Ok, here are some photos maybe this will help explain. 72 (I think) had a starter on it, tried to use it and starter just spun didn't engage. Took it out and couldn't feel a gear inside to catch the starter. Took off the inspection cover on the other side of the housing and found this NOTHING?????

My question, is this stock or did someone remove something here at some point?

And if so why in the heck would there be a starter on here at all if they were going to go kick only?

Thanks

Attachments

• P1010131.jpg
    P1010131.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 86
  • P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010133.jpg
    P1010133.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 92
hard telling what went on. But you are going to need a parts engine to get everything you need.

Easy to find out if your engine is from a 71 or a 72, look at the left front valve cover. If it has three studs, it's a 71. If it's has four studs with a wire connected to it, it's a 72. But you can't go wrong with the numbers that INXS mentionned before. You will find the serial number in front of the engine, below the cylinders.

- someone has removed the gears and left the starter motor in to keep the oil sealed in...there is probably something else wrong with the starter too-the reason for removing the gears in the first place

It is a 72, it has the decompression set up. Actually the stater works fine that is part of why I am so puzzled.

MY QUESTION: Can I just buy the plug kit from MikeXS and get this thing running with what is here fine with kick only??

Thanks

Cool, I think I will do that then verses trying to track down all these other parts to put the starter back in. That may have been what the PO started to do but never did all the way.

ONE MORE QUESTION: While someone is helping me with my problems, what should I do with the "Decompression" set up stuff??? From what I have read that was mostly for early starters, should I work on getting that all out of there also to go to kick only or is that helpful if applied while kicking as well???

Thanks!

Awesome guys, thanks, just ordered a block off kit from Mikes and hopefully this will get me over what seems to be an endless amount of humps.

My two cents is if you want to remove the decompression stuff go ahead. Save it though in case you ever want to put it back. I think they might be hard to come by.

Back