My new build, "The 23"

plane_ben

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Starting a new XS650 build. This bike has been built in my head about a hundred times this past year. Finally finished up another project, so this one is officially on the way.

For those of you that don't know me, My name is Ben and I built my "Yamkahansu" back a couple years ago. There is a thread in here somewhere.:D I post every now and then, but mostly I lurk.

Anyway, on the the build. I have put some prep time in this build. Like these 23" rims.
bt1.jpg

bt2.jpg

I also put together a tube bender I bought off my neighbor, and put together a frame jig out of all the metal I got in the deal.

IMG_0087.jpg

IMG_0094.jpg

I wanted to stretch the neck out on this bike because I'm running a 23" rim up front. Sizing up the clearances on my planned 'leafer fork', I needed some more room. So I cut out the backbone of my spare untitled frame for a goose neck look. Next I cut out the down tubes from the steering neck and stretched the backbone 2 1/2" on the titled frame. This gave me another inch in hieght and the stretch I wanted. Here are some pics. I'm liking the look so far.

This is the backbone stretch. I used a piece of tube cut off the swing arm and turned it down some to fit into the back bone tube. Drilled for plug welds.

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

With the goose neck welded on.

IMG_0106.jpg

Next I will get the lower engine cradle joined with the down tube, but homework for school needs to get done first. :bike:

I have a 23" on the front of my "Brat" bike, it rules... Plus, I feel like I can (and do) jump anything. Curbs, BMX ramps, ditches, you name it... I'm probably gonna end up in a ditch someday playing on that bike...

Livingdeadmc: I'm using the dual sport tread from IRC or Kenda. I would like some smooth road tread, but can't seem to find any. I see chopper guys with them, but don't know where they find 23" tires. I've check Coker for vintage look, but they only have 26" and 28" stuff for M/C.

Punkskalar: I haven't seen your brat bike, feel free to post a pic. I love your work. On another note. Someday I will get my crank and cam to you for rephasing.

Everyone else, thanks for the encouragement. I will try to do something every other day or so. I know as a lurker it gets boring when there isn't a fresh batch of builds going on and we all see the "bike was running, then it stopped" threads.:)

My 23" front is off of an XL250, I made a plate to mount the Honda Drum as well, it works fairly decent for a small drum on that size wheel. Had to machine the axle, make my own spacers and an adapter sleeve for the forks, but so far I dig it...

I'm running a knobby tire, it's not too bad on the street. Honestly the wheel flex is pretty killer. Those spokes are LONG - haha...

This is what I've been beating on lately. Thing rides and jumps like a dirtbike, probably why I cracked the OEM frame - haha... Time for some repairs I guess..

I've not put alot of thought into "finishing" this bike, might just leave it ugly and unpainted... :)

577995_439744609408316_377364034_n.jpg

Love the dirt bike Hugh. Thought about that a time or two myself. There is a guy in France that made a trials out of an XS. Made it look like a TY model. Very sweet looking. I've got a trials project going I started about a year ago. It will be a Peter Gaunt Replica from an old Honda XL250. There is an old thread in the trials section over on ADVrider.com

Anyway more to the point. I worked on the top engine mount today. Installed my mock up engine and all the attach hardware. Over looked the gap difference once the frame was stretched. Oh well, just make a filler piece.

IMG_0109.jpg

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0111.jpg

All welded up.

IMG_0112.jpg

Back in the 70's Just before I went into the Air Force, I lived in Boise Idaho. We had weekly TT and flat track racing every Thursday night at Bogus Basin Raceway. Fun Times for sure. One of the most run bikes was the XS650. Wish I had pictures of those days. I was broke as a joke and couldn't afford to pay attention, so didn't even have a camera.:laugh:

Finished the lower front frame and engine mount this weekend. Didn't get to spend much time on it. Had to do some Honeydos and attended a Christmas party. Ate up most of my play time

IMG_0113.jpg

Fabbed up these engine mounts. Going to put a big hole in the middle to lighten up the brackets some.

IMG_0115.jpg

Going to go over my crappy welds when I get the mock-up engine out. Try to make it look better. If I can't, I'll bondo fillet the whole frame.:laugh:

Back