My new build, "The 23"

Ya, it caught my attention too. I went and looked at the front down tube. It might be a little off to the left. I'm not worried about the engine. I put all the stock engine mounts in and tightened them down before I did any welding. I will get out the laser and check the frame down tube before I weld in those front engine mounts.

Hell, so long as the front wheel, rear wheel and sprocket are lined up properly, the frame could be made of spaghetti noodle shaped tubing and be just fine. I build my jigs off of the motor location, and then the front headtube and rear axle plates, and build to them...

^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep, that's pretty much the way I think too. I did check that down tube though, it was of an 1/8" off. Not enough to worry me about. Spent most of the day cutting of the back of the frame getting it ready for a hardtail. Used five 3 1/2" cutoff wheels getting all the tabs and stuff off.

IMG_0117.jpg

I've always like the 'Fong Brother's' look on their bikes, so I deceided to do something like they did. Only I'm cleaning off all the stock footpeg stuff. I'm going with a forward floorboard look with this one.:bike:

Played with an old XV920 gas tank my Dad gave me years ago. Just to see if it had any lines in it I could use for my "23" build. I trimmed the bottom 2 1/2"s off the tank side, and shortened 3"s in the length. Here is what I came up with. Don't know if I like it yet. Need to stare at it some more. Any opinions?

Side profile to start (uncut left side of tank)

IMG_0121.jpg

Proposed side profile after chopping from two distances.

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

Feel free to bash the concept. I'm not sure if I like it, so wouldn't take offense. Maybe something more round and frisco style.

Thanks guys. Scabber, I did try more forward and it covers up the goose neck, one of the features of my frame mod I want to be visible. I'm looking for the super lowslung, long laid out look. Last night I played with it some more, I cut some more off the bottom edge and gave it a slight curvature so that it has about 1/2" clearence over the engine. If I can get away from football games today, I'm going to cut out a tunnel template and work out the mounting, then maybe tack on the sides for a better looksee. Stay tuned for pictures.

I like it. I like how the gusset between the top tube and down tube is hidden; the tubes of the gooseneck "float" out of the front of the tank.

Have you tried shifting it rearward a bit? I'm wondering what it would look like with the front and back of the tank aligned more closely with downtube and backbone.

Thanks for the input guys. Dead Roman, I will be bringing the back down some more when I clearance the sides. First I have to finish the base and top engine mount clearance box. Osteoderm, I have the tank as far back as it will go, the mounting tab is right on the backbone doubler where the hardtail will attach. I've been thinking of cutting out the area by the down tube as well. But the tank it looking tiny enough already, (about 1 1/2 gal?) don't know if I want to reduce capacity even more.

Here is the start of the tank tunnel. Made today while watching football.:D

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0125.jpg

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0124.jpg

Been plugging away at the tank. Getting there. The final side profile is set, I'm happy with it. Going to shorten and reshape the forward mounting ears some. They came out a little long for what's needed.

The finished tunnel.

IMG_0128-Copy.jpg

IMG_0129-Copy.jpg

Right and left sides, I think it came out pretty even.

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

One front shot.

IMG_0132.jpg

Back