My on the cheap bobber build thread.

Put on some miles today! Bike ran pretty good. The weather was nice except for the damn wind, it was howling pretty good. I went out to the Boy scouts camp for their
annual Thanksgiving meal.:)The boys made the deserts. It didn't kill me off,but the cobbler my son helped make was interesting for sure!:eek: Met up with some of my neighbors after and decided to go on a Toy run with them tomorrow.It's just around town then out to the National Guard armory for some Chili. Supposed to be about 300 bikes there, should be fun.:thumbsup: Had one of my neighbors take my bike out for a run and he was impressed with her. I just wanted someone to ride her so I could see how she looked and to hear what she sounds like when she passes by.:D

sounds like a fine day indeed Bro.
I road too, Tinkered with the carbs last night.
she ran real good today
I have to tell you that fine tuning the carbs is much easer the way my bike is set up now compared to OEM.
I can get to low end screws and sync screw while setting on the bike.
If I were you John I would take some ear plugs with me that ride probably will be loud.
And I would stay out of the middle of the pack too. Just a thought.

Glad to hear you got to ride too Carbon.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the access to the carb's man. Got to be much easier than stock.
I'll take that advice too man, I'll be pulling up the rear for sure.

The Toy run was a good time,had some people ask about the bike and complement it.One dude wanted to sit on it. Bike ran good other than the idle was creeping up again.After I shut her off and went inside for some chilli, I came back out and the idle was back down.I'll pull the carbs off this coming weekend to replace those shaft seals for sure.
Plenty of HD's there,but some "jap" bikes in the crowd too. Some damn cool looking bikes. Hell, there was even a little girl riding a old scooter!
I was close to the front of about 300 bikes, all I was trying to do was not stall out the bike and look like a dumbass. Pretty hard to hear what my bike was doing with all the hawg's around me.:laugh:
Wouldn't mind doing another run, but in warmer weather thank you very much! :wink2:The wind was cold and blowing to gusts of 35 mph and higher.
All in all,a good day for sure.

Hell no!:doh: I didn't think to bring a camera. I thought about it yesterday and remembered it after I got there and only after I saw a few people taking pics.
I'll try to find some on Facebook to post.

Hell no!:doh: I didn't think to bring a camera.
I'll try to find some on Facebook to post.
:doh::laugh:

I don't know about other XSs but my carbs don't have any air leaks.
But as the engine gets warmer the idle creeps up
Mine right now at idle cold 1150,
warm1250-1300, (running long distance ,normal riding around town)
hot 1350-1450 (stuck at red lights over and over middle of the day)

Found some pics.
My favorite Daycare lady and her husband. She watched both my youngest.
482434_10153490235015483_844873019_n_zpsa3b0306e.jpg

Santa!
969446_10153490234435483_673704651_n_zps3422fc07.jpg

And I was right behind this group...
1472096_10153490232070483_1662724630_n_zpsa8622444.jpg

and in front of this guy. So close!
1459162_10153490232140483_680442141_n_zpsa431f317.jpg

A couple more.
1004992_10153490234860483_1483882695_n_zps5764f58c.jpg

563047_10153490233950483_921461776_n_zps8d7ddaa6.jpg

I agree, those Goldwings are way cool. I noticed that he has helper wheels at low speed.
He is a little man and rides that bike like it's nothing.
Yeah, mine will idle at 1200 or so, but at times when it warms up it'll run up to 2000+.
If I mess with the shafts it'll back back down a little.
It won't do it all the time though. I can live with a little creep, but 2000+ isn't cool and I worry she's running lean by pulling extra air.

Last edited:
I noticed an oil leak a couple of days ago. Looks to be coming from either the clutch push rod seal or the output shaft seal. I'm gonna top her off and take her out for a ride tomorrow, it's gonna be in the low 50's, then it'll be time to do some real work on her.:thumbsup: Winter is here... No better time than over the cold months.

Hey John both of those seals are fairly easy replace.
Might want to get 2 of the pushrod seals the first time can be a fuss.
I would also chamfer the case for the pushrod seal.
that makes it easer to install.
A sharp edge will cut the outside of the seal a make it useless.
Don't ask me how I know this. :wink2:
dremel tool makes the chamfer job a snap.

No Carbon, tell me how you know man.:wink2:
Yeah, I already had two of the pushrod seals on hand from the PO.
The other one I have in the set I bought awhile back. It was planned for,should've been done already.:D

Hey jmink427, I was wondering where you had gone to.:D
Yep, tomorrow is on man! Won't be going too far,but around town and maybe out to the park. My neighbor talked like he might want to ride with.Hell maybe we can get some of the other dudes around and just make some noise.:laugh:

Got some time out riding,bike ran good.Stayed in town cause at anything faster than 35-40 got cold quick.:bike:
Looks like the riding season is over here.:(

Got some time out riding,bike ran good.Stayed in town cause at anything faster than 35-40 got cold quick.:bike:
Looks like the riding season is over here.:(

Good deal..... I didn't ride today, drove the 65 Impala around instead... I did start the motorcycle though..... :D

I spent most of the day hanging Christmas lights and going to get a tree with my wife and kids. The old tree farm we have been going to for years has closed down.My wife and I were talking about just buying a "fake" tree and my little girl said we are going to have real tree's for Christmas until she moves out! Dang kids!:wink2:
So we went and bought a real tree from the local grocery store...:D
I did get a chance to go for a little spin to fill up the bike with gas and treated it with some Sta-Bil. Pulled the positive cable off and called it a day for now.:thumbsup:
When I get a chance, I'll pull the engine and cart it off to work so I can pull it apart and see what's what.Hopefully all I'll have to do is reseal her and put her back together.
I keep telling myself, I don't need to buy that 750 big bore kit.:laugh: Thank you Carbon!:wink2:

Back