My rephased Cafe Racer build is complete

Well done! Where did you get that braided hose to cover the wiring? I've been looking for something like that - it's a great way to clean it up. The Snake Skin looks good too.

I know that a lot of people will disagree with me about this, but I think this bike is both beautiful and a clear expression of an ideal which it to improve through modification.

I really appreciate this bike, on a few different levels.

The damper was missing from my bike. I found an old copper washer in my spare parts and drilled the centre hole slightly larger......................... it quieted my engine. I believe Mikesxs sells one that has rubber in it.

Where did you buy the Brembo caliper, and is that an OEM brake disk?

Cool, I'll check that out and see if it's missing. The Brembo caliper is from a Ducati Monster SP2 I think. It's the same as you see in gold usually, but the SP comes in black.
The brake disk is OEM, just drilled.

What compression are those pistons? unusual to see over size pistons with no flat lip around the edge, I've got a set of 78mm in mine with a lip around the edge, would have thought they might have hit the head, what head gasket did you use? Hoos says to use standard.

The pistons are from Hoos racing. I'm using standard head gasket. I hope thats not what my problem is with the noise. That would suck, the machnist that bored my jugs said that it would fit.

very very very nice indeed, sex on wheels,how much drama is involved in fitting 750 tank & how much does it hold,hope its restored to be ridden & not hidden,very good result

Fitting the tank is pretty easy. The hard part is finding a decent tank at a good price. Lots of good threads on here on how to do it. You do have to cut off the stock frame ears though.

Have you tried just adjusting the valves and cam chain? After a fresh build/rebuild, it takes a bit for things to "take a set". I had to do it on my '75 right after the initial start up, even though it had been done on the bench.
Also, plan on doing it again at about 500-600 miles and re-torque the head.

Now...the bike is beautiful! The only thing I would change is the tuning fork emblem on the tank; it's just a little small, IMHO.

Is that one of the early '74-76 master cylinders? How does it work with the Brembo caliper? I'm having some soft brake issues with mine with stock caliper.

How do you like those grips? I just got a set for my CB500 but haven't installed them yet.

Sunday was the first time I started her and took it for a ride. The rephase crank and the short cones sound awesome. I just want to open it up, but I have to break the motor in. I'm going to check the valves today.
The master cylinder is from a 78 CB750. Unfortunately, the 16mm piston bore doesn't work well with the modern brembo caliper. The leverage and feel is not there. I have a modern 13mm master I'm going to try, but it will throw that vintage look off.

Thanks for all the kind words guys. All that I learned on how to build my xs, I learned from the experiance and advice from the guys on these forums. Couldn't have done it without your help...THANKS! :thumbsup:

I'm going through the same thing on my '75, re: brake feel.

Stock m/c, Honda CB master from David Silvers, etc. I guess I'll have to give up the classic look in exchange for braking performance. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Details on the Brembo caliper? Did you fab all that up or is it a kit or ??? Where did you get the caliper? What bike is it from?

Which Airtech tail is that? I've been looking at them and I'm trying to figure out what will work for what I have in mind. How is the quality of the tail? How did you upholster it?

That is the cleanest motor I have ever seen. How did you do it? I want mine that clean and I don't want it to take me all winter. Please tell.

Which Airtech tail is that? I've been looking at them and I'm trying to figure out what will work for what I have in mind. How is the quality of the tail? How did you upholster it?

It's a CB75021M Universal cafe seat and upholstery pan. I put on extra coats of resin and mat just to be sure it would crack in half, only needs minor prep for paint. The pan is just attached by velcro, pretty sold, it doesn't move at all.

That is the cleanest motor I have ever seen. How did you do it? I want mine that clean and I don't want it to take me all winter. Please tell.

Thanks, I used high temp aluminum color paint for the head, polished the side covers and valve covers, stripped the clear on the engine cases and did a little polishing on those.

Nice job....I'm completing one that is very similar including the 750 tank. Where is that filler from and how attached? I used the stock one, eliminating the need for key use by grinding away a finger hole in the front/underside of the cap so you can just release the catch. How did you plug your hole in the back/top of your headlight bucket? I didn't notice the hole until the powder coating was done.:banghead: I'm machining a pair of aluminum discs that will sandwich/compress the stock rubber grommet and serve also as the mounting point for the single speedometer as Mike's XS couldn't come up w/ a pair of instruments that had matching backlighting.

Last edited:
Back