My rephased Cafe Racer build is complete

No pic, but only cuz I gave it to a buddy for his. Real simple though. Just pull the cap off and work the key. You'll see the square tab/latch the key operates. Just grind away the nose of the lid till you can get your finger in there. It's real easy to push when you apply downward force on the lid. I've got a different idea brewing which is to attach an aluminum knob to the key, leaving it as a semi permanent fixture in the cap so I can remove it to operate my seat lock.

*****Here's a super slick upgrade I did to mine.....Speedhut in Utah makes custom instruments including a GPS powered speedometer. Available in 4" or 3+". You can select any combination of font, face color, lighting and custom graphics. I did mine in 4" w/ a Yamaha tuning fork. Fabbed up a plate that uses the stock mounts. You can get a speedo delete spacer for the front axle from Hughs Handbuilt....It's sweet. I also installed a hydraulic clutch from Hughs as well, though I found out the same unit is on Ebay for 1/3 the price....Still debugging a few things; hope to post some pics soon.

First I just want to say your bike looks AMAZING. Nice work you must he really proud hell I don't even know you and I am proud of you for that rebuild! I would start with checking the cam chain tensioner make sure its adjusted properly(http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13058). Then I would check your oil for any black plastic pieces. I had the same noise and it ended up being my cam chain tensioner needed replaced. Good luck!

Steve

hey C-Los SD,

what did you use for the knee pads on your tank??

bike looks awesome by the way!

Thanks for the kind remarks. I am very proud of it.

The exhaust is a Mikes XS stainless header with Meg's (cone engineering) reverse cone mufflers. Not too loud but very throaty, I love how it sounds with Hugh's rephased crank. Totally different sound almost Ducati/VR4 sound.

The knee pads are from Tech Spec. They make tank pads/grips for sportbikes, but you can buy a sheet of it and cut out the desired pattern.

I think Cafe Racer should do a show about Hugh's Handbuilt...now that guys is a builder and innovator.

Have an XS 750 tank on mine too. Just wondering if you have any tip for cutting such a nice line on the knee pads material that you got from tech spec. Did you use an exacto knife or what to get such a clean straight line?
jefft

I attached some tracing paper to 750 tank and used the pinstripping that was on it for a template. Cut the template out and trace the cutout on the back of the snake skin. Use a bench grinder to bevel the edges.

Did you ever figure out the top-end noise. My stock '78 engine has the same sound and I can't figure out what it is.

Also, how do you like the Redwing shocks. In the vid, it looks like the springs are moving when you rev the bike.....or is that just an optical illusion?

The bike looks fantastic. It is the blueprints to my same project bike. I am also using a xs750 tank and I was wondering how you got the tank attached to frame. Did you weld it strait onto it or did you some sort of bracket system?

Back