mystery bushing from left engine cover

yankeeboy

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, first post here! I have a '75 i'm working on, and yesterday I removed the left engine cover case ( work on clutch cable ) and then I removed the chain guard. While wiggling the chain guard out of the frame/tire, a brass bushing fell out from the heavens and landed on the floor. Where does this go? It is small enough to fit on the arm of the clutch cable, and has wear marks on the outside. I couldn't find a diagram that included it anywhere. Any one know? thanks

Two of the bolts on the left cover have metal grommets / sleeves that slide over studs to line up the cover. Or could be a POs mod for the clutch cable - - -

I saw the two sleeves for the cover bolts, this isn't one of them. Clutch cable was my assumption since it's the only thing it fits on, but was hoping for an oem application.

Only bushing that comes to mind is the one behind the push rod seal but not too likely it would be just hanging around under the cover.
Some handlebar clutch levers have a brass bushing in the pivot....
The side cover steel locating bushings are fairly large.
Pushrod bushing
01-2020.jpg

That looks like a chain roller. Last year, another member found something like that, was from broken chain. Might want to inspect the area for signs of broke chain whiplash damage.

Edit: You mentioned it fell out while removing the chainguard. There are also mount bushings that fit inside rubber grommets. May want to download a parts manual, covering the battery box, electrics, chainguard and rear fender.

From here: http://www.biker.net/74-76_650_parts/650abc parts main.html

Last edited:
Yes, you need a spacer through the grommet or it will just get squashed flat.

Back