Need new tires for my bob...i need some opinions

dunnroadmafia

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking at getting new tires for my brat and need some input on choices. The bike is a 78 with mag wheels. Reason being is I had a rear blow out yesterday at 60, the tires that i currently have are 4 year old bridgestone trail wings. Needless to say both are being replaced after this incident. Im currently looking at avon safety mark mkii for the rear and a speedmaster mkii up front, others ive looked at are the shinko 270's. I do like the vintage look as i think it helps tie the bike together but i am open to opinions. Also both the avons and shinkos are tubed tires, can they be run tubeless on a mag wheel or is this a no no. Ive never owned a bike with mags so im a little lost here. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Dunn

Heres the bike the tires will be going on

IMG_20140614_160859_zps1da0a752.jpg

A big thanks to all on this forum for all the knowledge shared on a daily basis. It built my bike and without it who knows where id be lol.

A tire don't know what wheel your putting it on and neither did the people that made it. Tires are made to run tubeless on wheels that can be run tubeless and with a tube on wheels that need tubes.
If your mags can be run tubeless it is stamped on the wheel. In big letters on one of the spokes It say's SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES. If it doesn't say this put tubes in there.
Leo

I went through my clymers manual and for 78 it says tubes for both spoke and cast wheels. So tubes it is. The shinko isnt bad but reminds me of more of a chopperish tire. Im thinking the saftey mark in the back with a coker E70k (basically firestone ans) on the front. Found a photo on line and it looks pretty neat.

Back