need some help!! going crazy!!

Yes, you will need a new gear, that one is beyond useable in my opinion. Some wear is still acceptable, due to the nature of how the gear engages, but that one is too far gone. I had the same problem, no amount of spring tensin will help with a gear that worn, I was able to find a good used one on eBay, clamp the u shaped end of the wishbone spring into a vice a little, and reinstall on the new gear, problem solved. Good luck!

The worn rubber is not a seal. It is a cushion. It help prevent noise and damage as the gears slide into one another.
The fish scale is used to see how much force it takes to get the spring to slip around the gear. Hold the gear in a vice, hook the scale onto the small end of the spring. pull so as to spin the spring on the gear. It should take at least 5 lbs of force. A bit more is better.
Here's a pic of the spring. Where it says Squeeze here is where you hook the scale to.
Leo

Attachments

• starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    starter spring 001 (640x480).jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 129
ok, how do i get it back to the 8 lb. mark?

I read that as tight as the spring will go is not too tight, so no need to obtain instrumentation ;)

Like I said, you can test it with the cover off, to see if it worked yet.

i broke a bolt off in the clutch basket!! now what?? i tightened the spring in a vise, re-installed the gears, washers and snap ring and gave it a try. seems to work so far, i then broke the bolt!! some advice please, i cant believe i broke that bolt!!

Avery, just so you know - don't touch the kickstart mechanism whatever you do. Do not pull it even a tad out, and make sure you put the kickstart washer back on reassembly.

Anlaf

usually (often) the remains of a broken bolt will just thread right out. You can cut a slot in the remains with a dremel tool cut off wheel if it's not recessed, use a screwdriver. if you can get at the backside drill from that side often the drill will thread the bolt out. If you end up having to drill from the front a LH drill bit is the best ( by far) way to go, again many times the drill action will unthread the rest of the bolt.

of course the bolt is recessed. ok - i will go pull the basket back off. it was going so good too.
thanks guys for all of the help so far and in the future, it's pretty cool that there's other motorheads out there willing to help dumbasses like muah. lol thanks again.

No, don't order new bolts Mod what you have to use Allen head bolts.
Mount the bolts in a vice on your drill press and drill a hole through the bolts so the Allen head bolts can go through.
I don't know how to link the right threads but a search on here onModding clutch spring bolts should find some.
Leo

These are only M6 screws (the threaded part anyway) which means they only get torqued to 6 or 7 ft/lbs. They shouldn't be breaking off at that spec.

Sounds like you tried to tighten too much - the clutch bolts have the sleeve which should sit (all six) comfortably in the clutch assembly at 6-7lbs as 5twins says. It is not possible to go in further than the sleeve allows, and if you try it will surely snap the bolt.

Glad you are back on track.

Anlaf

XSLeo has a good mod for those bolts which I plan to try on my second engine (when I get a vice); but if you do re-install the six screw-head bolts be careful and use a driver.

Anlaf

ok....I will try and modify what I got. thank god I work in a machine shop.
thanks for all of the help guys, really means a lot. gonna continue reassembly - :)

Looking again at those clutch bolts I will have to take them to a workshop - XSLeo if I simply tell them I want a hole drilling through big enough for a 6mm bolt, is that enough information for the engineer? - it requires a precise length of sleeve, doesn't it, and some of the bolt head looks like it forms part of the sleeve.

Anlaf

Fantastic, TwoMany - I was just a little concerned about clearance to the inside of the right-hand, but the pics on the thread mafkes it absolutely clear (here, engineer, look at these pic!').

That should be helpful to avery, too.

Anlaf

Modding the bolts wasn't my idea but it's a good one.
When you get the mod done, before you put it all together I would recommend you check the length of the bolts. Assemble the bolts through the modded bolts and thread them into the hub. Look at the back of the hub. If the bolts come to just flush then the length is perfect. If they stick out grind them back to just flush. If they are not out to flush, like a mm or so in then they will be ok.
If too long they will hit the basket, grinding a groove in the basket.

Back