Need some help with Coil/Condensers/Points wiring

Q Tip

mad bomber
Reaction score
This is on a 79 special that ran before I switched everything to my 77 frame.

I've got two Red/white (kill switch?) from the harness; one each to each brown coil wire.
(My coils are brown and orange wires)

My orange breaker point wire goes to my left orange coil wire.
My grey breaker point wire goes to my right orange coil wire.

I have two black from the condenser.

One each black condenser wire goes to one side of two double connectors from the harness. One double connector is orange, one is grey.

I have one more orange and grey wire from the harness and one orange goes to the double connector with orange/black condenser.

The other grey from the harness goes to the double connector with grey/black condenser.

Wondering if anyone else has the same color wires and can verify my wiring here.

My 79 special SF diagram shows differing color wires here so it's a little confusing for me.

I think you're plugging the orange and gray wires from the harness into themselves. The points orange and gray should run to the double orange and gray of the harness, each double also getting a condenser black. The other end of the doubles go to your coils. The points don't connect directly to the coils, they run through the harness orange and gray to get there.

Ok that makes sense...i believe that is how I had it. Too bad, thought I had figured out my no start condition. I'll change it back. Got a little confused trying to compare to the diagram I have. Thanks for your help.

Are you sure you have the points wired correctly? The gray wire should go to the upper (right cylinder) set of points and to the right coil. The orange wire goes to the lower (left cylinder) set of points and to the left coil. If they're switched, your timing will be 180° off and the bike won't start. If you had the advance rod out and assembled it with the locating pins on both ends not aligned, same thing, timing will be 180° off.

I switched it back as you suggested and I have spark at both plugs. My timing seems correct with both right and left points opening per my Ohmmeter just as the rotor timing mark lines up with the small marks to the left and right of my stator "F" mark. The orange and grey wires show correct to the proper coils/points.

My spark is a thin white spark. I'm getting a thin whitish vapor from the header pipes when I crank the motor. Every once in a while it will putt or fire once.

Thinking I may be over rich or spark is not strong enough to light my rich mixture.
I have VM 34's. Can't remember the jet sizes but they are the recommended jets...think it was 25 pilot and 180 main. They are clear and clean.

Could be my old coils/plug wires are tired.

thanks again for the help.

Back