New guy, charging system help

Jlen089

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Ok, so i purchased an all original 1980 xs650 special that had been sitting in a shed for 20 years or so. Installed a new battery, put in fresh gas, cleaned the carbs up and got it running good. I took the bike for its first ride but only made it to the gas station before it died out on me which is less than a mile away. I kicked it over and it started up, went to ride away and it died again as i was pulling out. My brother went and got the jump box and it started right up but died as soon as we pulled the jump box off. At theis point we assumed it was a bad stator so i replaced it with one that came out of a perfecly good running bike of the same year. Put a full charge on the battery went for maybe a ten mile test ride and everything went fine. Went to start the bike up after getting home and the battery is dead. What else should i look at that would cause the bike to not be charging?

Very seldom does a stator go bad. How did you determine the stator was bad?
There are many things that can be wrong to stop charging. It could be as simple as a dirty connection.
TwoMany linked the charging guide. Just follow the steps.
Leo

Do not continue to randomly replace parts, use that guide and a VOM come back here and ask questions if you need to.

Thank you guys, after going through the article the slap test was very weak and the headlight did not get brighter when i revved it. Without access to a VOM at the moment im thinking voltage regulator. Does this sound accurate?

Nope you are still in the replace random parts mode. Spend the money (what $10?) on a VOM and FIND the problem. Things I look at first are connections, wires (+12 and grounds) fuse box, brushes and rotor. Then key switch, stator and voltage regulator and related wires. All these can be isolated with a cheap VOM and tests.
A better say $30-$50 VOM is a life long tool that will save you a lot of bucks over the years. EXample my 50" LCD TV died, I suspected lightning, found an online how to test guide, found the dead board, got a board off fleabay for $50 swapped it in and I'm back in business good as new for less than the insurance deductible. VOM and couple of screwdrivers was all I needed.
(hint LCD TV boards are dime a dozen, a LOT of TVs die from broken screens!)

Back