new idea on headlight kill for kick only. pete where are ye'?

txpowdercoater

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I have mine wired through the neutral relay so it doesnt turn on the headlight until I put in gear. This way sucks massively.

I would rather use the same relay and have it wired with the "trigger" power coming off the armature or something like that.
Hoping to keep the headlight off until the engine runs and then the voltage should trigger the relay to turn on the headlight automatically, henceforth making the starting draw not so much and easy starts.
Question of the day: will this work?

the neutral switch sux if you like to sit at a light in neutral and its night time and it draws a lot of attention to you w/ headlight blinking on and off, even from the first to second shift it blinks quickly.

If you have the stock alternator just wire in the stock safety relay from a later model.
I have one from an 82 that I have been thinking of wiring into my 75. I will use a ballast resistor. When the engine starts the low beam would come on with the resistor inline. This will light the low beam a bit dimmer and this will save a bit of current draw. When it gets dark and I turn the headlight switch on, it will bypass the resistor, lighting the head light fully.
Hooking a relay into neutral light to kill the headlight can help keep the battery charged. It's one mod I don't think I'll try. I like the visability of the headlight.
If you have a P/M alternator It won't have the wire tapping off the stator to trigger the safety relay.
If I had the P/M alternator I would wire in an early right side switches, the ones with a headlight switch in it. Then I could leave the light off until I started the bike.

If you have the stock alternator just wire in the stock safety relay from a later model.

I was thinking before how strange that the mod he's asking for is what it does stock. But I didn't know all years didn't do that :)

I think they did away with the headlight on/off switch in 80. In the Clymer book wiring diagrams they showed the switch up to 79, the 80 didn't.
Lots of people eliminate the safety switch when they rewire the bike.
I'm not sure just how tx has his bike setup. What year? Stock? or how much modifications he has done.

I think they did away with the headlight on/off switch in 80. In the Clymer book wiring diagrams they showed the switch up to 79, the 80 didn't.
Lots of people eliminate the safety switch when they rewire the bike.
I'm not sure just how tx has his bike setup. What year? Stock? or how much modifications he has done.

81, stock electrics, and minimal wiring, kick only, small battery, headlight wired through relay and neutral switch, I think I will be changing that.

There's a yellow wire coming from the stator. When the safety relay sees charge on that yellow wire it kills the starter. You can probably tap into that with a relay.

Or just add a headlight switch.

There's a yellow wire coming from the stator. When the safety relay sees charge on that yellow wire it kills the starter. You can probably tap into that with a relay.

Or just add a headlight switch.

yup, the yeller wire would be the one to trigger with, thanks!

Your yellow wire will trip a regular headlight relay. The one you use for the neutral light cut out may work. Is it a 4 or 5 terminal relay? The 4 terminal only turn on a circuit, the 5 terminal can turn a circuit on or a circuit off, depending on how it's wired.

Your yellow wire will trip a regular headlight relay. The one you use for the neutral light cut out may work. Is it a 4 or 5 terminal relay? The 4 terminal only turn on a circuit, the 5 terminal can turn a circuit on or a circuit off, depending on how it's wired.

yes sir, it will trigger either way

Emgo offers a nice, compact 3-position key switch (off, ignition, ignition plus accessories). I use one mounted in the top hole of the headlight shell, but you can fit it in the stock position too with a little ingenuity. A few ring connectors, a little solder and heat tube, a little time for fitment, and you have your lighting circuits isolated.

txpowder...,

You didn't want an actual switch, so that's why you installed the neutral switch. Now, if you remove that and install a safety relay type of arrangement, how are you going to turn on your headlight on that dark and rainy night when the alternator fails?

I would suggest that you keep the existing neutral switch arrangement and add the safety relay to turn on the headlight when the engine starts. This will also give you the ability to turn on the headlight when the engine is not running and if the alternator quits but if everything is working, the headlight will stay on when in neutral stopped at the light.

Best of both worlds...:thumbsup:
Have your cake and eat it too...:wink2:
Where ther's a will, there's a way...:D
All roads lead to Roam.....:wtf:

Back