New member from Colorado

junkshow

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The Slow and Unsteady Progress of my XS Build

Here I am. I've been an admirer of 70's motorcycles for some time now and been bringing old Honda's back from the dead for about 5 years. All this time hiding my admiration for the XS650 twins from my SOHC4 brethren for fear of being ousted from "the club".

I can conceal my love no more!

I've finally acquired the project bike I've been searching for, the XS650, and I'm looking forward to digging into her and seeing if I can bring her back from the dead as well. With the wealth of knowledge on this forum and what seems to be an enjoyment of sharing info, it should be a fun ride.

Since she is currently in boxes, I don't have a pic that would be of interest to anyone yet. Soon I will be reassembling the engine from my tear-down, I'm sure I will have some questions, and I'll add some pics then.

Looking forward to this.

-Junkshow

Last edited:
Highlands Ranch and it SUX. Currently shopping for a new house in Englewood, Denver or Arvada to name a few places.

So I'm at a stopping point in my engine top end rebuild. I bought this bike as a basket case and it seems to be missing some small parts, specifically the four screws that hold the rear cam chain guide in place. From what I've seen, they appear to be Phillips head screws and two of them are not threaded all the way to the head. Does anybody know the specs on these? Can I just pick up something from the hardware store?

Posted via Mobile

Thanks jamesgs4

Here is a pic of my engine missing the hardware I'm in need of and a pic from MikesXS that shows the guide and the screws. I know they are phillips head screws, and two of them are not threaded all the way to the head. I'm sure I could hit up my local hardware store and pick up some grade 8 hardware, but I just don't know the pitch/size.

Attachments

• cam guide.JPG
    cam guide.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 125
  • cam guide-mikesxs.jpg
    cam guide-mikesxs.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 99
found a set, just have to remove them from an old engine. want them mailed or do you want to come pick them up? thread pitch is 6mm x 1.00

Last edited:
So I'm finally back at it. Got the engine back together (thanks jamesgs4 and fancyketchup), and I'm currently working on streamlining the electrical. There is a dude From Minnesota on You Tube that replaced his rectifier and regulator with a regulator/rectifier combo from an '81 XS650 Special. I'm thinking I might go for it since I'm only running a headlight, tail/brake light and obviously charging system with a kick only. I have a Pamco ignition, Ultimate coils, resistor plug caps and stock charging system. Does anybody see any issues with my setup that might cause problems with this setup?

Glad to hear you got the motor back together! I second the PMA, pricey but worth it. I know the stator/rotor worked well in that engine. Maybe a chrysler regulator and radioshack rectifier for now?

That's big money! I might just run what I have for now and over the winter hook up a PMA. If the old setup was charging ok than i guess I'll be okay for a little bit till I get some $ scrapped together. I still gotta figure out the direction to go with this bike. If it's gonna get the hard tail treatment, then I need to keep some moneys in my pocket for that. Any reason to not just HT this frame vs getting an entire frame? Besides the cost.

Posted via Mobile

I would just hardtail the current one unless you cant get the title issue sorted. I have all the parts for my PMA swap and it cost me a little over $200 total. Just run the factory charging system till it pisses you off(an eventuality) then swap. My bike is out of commission due to some lower end issues. :-(

I would just hardtail the current one unless you cant get the title issue sorted. I have all the parts for my PMA swap and it cost me a little over $200 total. Just run the factory charging system till it pisses you off(an eventuality) then swap. My bike is out of commission due to some lower end issues. :-(

I have a good extra bottom end if you are in need of parts, let me know if you need anything.

Small step today since I was home sick and missed a ride with friends. I made a mount to hold the Ultimate Coil I'll be installing. Here it is mocked up for fitment.

Fancyketchup - how about some details of your PMA swap. Did you just build it up from the Hugh's setup?

Attachments

• ultimate coil mount.JPG
    ultimate coil mount.JPG
    148.7 KB · Views: 141
Nice bracket, I just used the grounding clamps from homo depot. I pieced it together from used parts... cbr stator($40), new banshee flywheel($100), new r/r ($30) and hughs adapter. Ive yet to install it, but it will probably be put on with my engine rebuild.

Junkshow, fyi, most harware stores have a display board next to the hardware, that has sizing guides on it. It will show You pitch, size etc. Just take in Your old hardware and compare it, ACE always has one, very handy!

So the engine is together and ready to go back in the frame. I'll be slapping it together to get it running and work the bugs out.

I've been wanting to hard tail it, but not until I get everything sorted out and running well. So in the mean time I plan on doing a little cutting and grinding, maybe build a custom seat, new peanut or alien type tank (whatever I can find for cheap) paint some shit, etc.

Also, I'm in the process of learning more about the electrical. I want to build my own simple wiring harness so I've been studying the schematics in the tech section. I really don't have a clue when it comes to electrical so it might be a while before I get her buttoned up.

Anyway, if I decide to get a weld on hard tail, is there anyone in the Denver area that does this type of work? I would like to learn, but not at the risk if doing something wrong on this current project.

Here's the engine in all her glory. Not the prettiest, but I don't build show bikes, I build bike I can ride the snot out of.

Attachments

• 7-20-11 engine build complete.JPG
    7-20-11 engine build complete.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 128
Answered my own question after digging through more posts!

Last edited:
Back