New member from Colorado

So here is the latest.

Engine is back in frame. I've been studying the wiring thing, (been too scared to get in there and try to wire it and I don't want to fry my new coils or Pamco). Installed new MC and bled (sort of). I've done enough vintage bikes to know that I should have installed a new caliper piston ring, but I didn't. No love and now I need to find one and re-bleed.

Does anybody know of a local source I can find these seals? Auto parts store maybe? I've always ordered a complete kit, but I just need that seal. All else is good.

I think I'm gonna re-name this threat "The Slow and Unsteady Progress of my XS Build".

Pics sooner or later.

Last edited:
I have an 1981 XS650II all original in Littleton, looking forward to hearing more XS650s in Colorado

I live near Santa Fe and 3rd.. I just bought a 83' XS650 ..

got it home and found I have a bunk Charging system.
I don't really have tools or a place to get a lot of this work done but if I buy all the parts off e-bay for the swap, anyone around town think they could help a guy out in installing the parts? I'll do the work just want someone with a little know how and a few of the right tools I'll need close by...

I'm very excited, this is my first bike and it was a blast to drive , i just want to drive it more and working. any help would be great.

It's an 83' and looks like it will get to be to $$$$$.. Any one in colorado have some of the parts for the charging system? I want to get this new toy working. I'm near downtown. Thanks.

Update to the slow rebuild of my '76/'79...

Got some wiring kinda sorted out and cleaned up, but there is an issue with the rectifier (?). Check the pics.

I've already ordered a new 6 prong plug from vintageconnectors.com, but it looks like the PO had some issues with a melted wire.

Does this indicate a bad charging system? Or maybe a short in the rectifier?

Attachments

• rectifier.JPG
    rectifier.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 101
  • rectifier plug 3.JPG
    rectifier plug 3.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 76
I would have a hard time believing that that rectifier is still good with a melted wire

Maybe just an old plug then? Regulator might be okay?

Eventually I'm ordering the Hugh's Hand built PMA, but I just want to fire her up so I'm slapping the original harness in.

Dumb question but...

How do the alternator brushed get installed. Anybody got a pic of how these suckers are supposed to be put in?

I'm new.

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Maybe somebody could tell me from my pic if this is done correctly.

*Found it. gggGary has a close up of what I was looking for.

But now I have a new issue. Continuing to hook shit up tonight, I broke the tab that holds the MAIN (20 amp) fuse in place. Nice. That seems to "Par for Course" today.

Attachments

• alternator brush install.JPG
    alternator brush install.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:
Almost ready with the "Dirty Six-Fiddy". Hope to be running by next weekend. We have my brother's 83 up and running as well. Maybe we can coordinate a ride in the next few weeks.......

Yeah dude. I'll take that shit. Thanks "fancy".

By the way, I got her fired up today. Kinda temporarily wired with a micro fuse holder I had sitting around, but there is an issue...

Power still flows even when the key is switched off:confused:. I don't have a kill switch, might that be why?

Posted via Mobile

Been a while since I've posted, been busy shopping for a house and had a kid a little over a month ago, but here is the latest...

Re-wired the entire bike.

Made a bracket to mount the bobber headlight.

New jets to compensate for the pods and short, open exhaust.

Currently she fires on the second kick, and runs great. I've only had her around the condo parking complex since I don't have her titled yet. Might throw a plate from my CB500 cafe racer on to putz around today before turkey is done. I'll work on getting some pics up, but she ain't pretty. I've been more focused on getting the mechanical/electrical solid first.

Posted via Mobile

Oh yeah, what are your title issues? I got a title for my bike without any problems, just had to gather up all the right paperwork. There's a checklist from the state with all the required steps; I followed it to a T and once I submitted my paperwork, I had a title in two weeks. I can help you out if you have specific questions.

Back