New member from Colorado

Awesome. I already have the previous owners last known address and the VIN has been ran, and came back all clear. But a point in the right direction would be great.

Posted via Mobile

Who did you buy the bike from? You'll need to do your damndest to track them down and get a notarized bill of sale, if you don't have one already. You've got the VIN check so that's good; any other states that it's been registered in that you know of? For instance, mine has New Jersey tags and reg. stickers from 1984; this was noted on the VIN check so I knew they'd ask about it. I sent off to NJ for a title check ($15) and it came back with no results. Get that done for every other state you know about; if none, don't worry about it.

Here's the link to the checklist of stuff that the state wants to see.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellit...goBlobs&blobwhere=1251600297275&ssbinary=true

Follow this like the gospel; they don't put things in there just for the hell of it. As I recall, this is everything I gave them:

VIN verification (Adams County State Patrol office)
Statement of Fact (why I was applying for title)
Notarized Bill of Sale (I bought the bike mostly complete from Steele's, and Brandon Steele's mom is a notary, so I just had to hassle him for that and we did it almost a year after I bought the bike)
Title record search from Colorado, using both 2F0 and 2FO just in case - no results found
Title record search from New Jersey - no results found
Application for Title form

Pretty sure that was it. Go over the form I linked, maybe even take it down to your local DMV and get their input, and it might be worthwhile to talk to the state office if you still have questions. Feel free to ask anything else. :)

Took the XS for a spin to fill the tank before the snow tomorrow night. Had to walk the bike home 4 blocks.

Reg/rec was not grounded. Oops. :doh:

Posted via Mobile

Ran the ground from the regulator to the ground for the rectifier, then to the frame. Took her for a spin today (sans seat) and she did fine. There was some backfiring on deceleration which I attribute to being lean. She kinda sputtered at higher RPM's also.

All in all, not too bad for a bike that I purchased in a box:thumbsup:

Any ideas on the stumbling at higher RPM's?

What size jets?

I'd be sure to check the condition of the plugs, which I'm sure you know.

I increased from stock because I'm running pods and short exhaust (no mufflers). I'll check when I get home from work tonight. Could this cause issues if I increased too much?

Posted via Mobile

I run 140's, so I don't think your jets are too big, especially with short straight pipes. I had short pipes with the same 140 jets and it ran pretty good at this altitude.

I did lower my needles one clip, maybe I need to raise them back to the stock (center) position.

Posted via Mobile

Hey guys, I'm in broomfield, glad to see some people from the mile high city! I've seen a number of 650s for sale around here, not too many riding.

As for the melted rectifier wire, I had the ground on my 79 fry... everywhere from the rectifier up to the battery, under the gas tank and almost to the coils. Replaced it and haven't had a problem all summer.

As far as the title issue, i have a 74 frame and engine with no title. It came as "parts" with a titled bike I bought. As I understand it, it had been passed along at least once without a title. So I can get a bill of sale from the Guy I bought it from, but not from the last titled owner. Which I can only assume will not work. Any thoughts?

Back