NEW PUSHROD OIL SEAL leaking around PUSHROD

ANLAF

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
I have just fitted a new pushrod oil seal. I fitted it carefully and properly (now burrs of rubber came off, etc and I cleaned and lubricated the pushrod) but I notice oil coming out from around the pushrod. It's not pouring out, only oozing when the pushrod moves. Is this usual? or how can I remedy?

Anlaf

sorry to hear that ! How did you remove the old bush ? did you prise it out or drill it out ?
Was the new bush a tight fit ?
If the oil seal is the correct part and fitting flush all round the edge I can only think that something is slightly out of alignment causing uneven pressure on the clutch push rod from the oil seal .

Are you using the 2x piece push rod or one piece ?

Peanut

I took the old seal out with great care and made sure the seating was cleaned and de-burred. But it is not leaking around the edges, it is leaking between the pushrod itself and the surrounding rubber lip.

I am two-piece pushrod, by the way.

Anlaf

well the only thing I can think of is either the rod is worn or more likely the oil seal is old stock and the rubber degraded or the spring has lost its tension.
The oil seal definitely had a double lip didn't it ?

Ahhh I just read your other 2x posts about replacing the wormdrive and other oil seal . Thats the potential problem with multiple posting about an issue is that some of the info doesn't get passed on to new threads.

Regarding your leaky push rod seal it could be the result of your new worm drive being slightly out of alignment causing uneven pressure of the push rod on one side of the oil seal. ?

Pity you didn't replace the little bush behind the oil seal at the same time. How tight was the rod in the bush?

Last edited:
Where the rod is on the outside it is exposed to the elements and can rust or at least build up deposits. It is cleaner where it goes through the seal and gets covered in protective oil. So there is a clean end and dirty end. There is advice on here about cleaning it up before refitting. When I replaced mine there was a distinct worn groove on the push rod where it went through the seal so I replaced the rod.

Mine was the later one piece rod so I was replacing like with like but the revailing advice, on this forum at least, seems to be that you can replace the two piece (with ball bearing) with the later one piece rod. It is suggested that this lessens the ability of the rod to wobble about in the seal. I presume this will help with sealing and postpone wear. Whatever the truth of it Yamama moved to the later one piece rod for some reason. They must have thought it better in some way.

There is also a bush behind the seal which, if worn, is said to allow the rod to wobble. Also plenty of advice here too on replacing this. I wiggled my rod from side to side (oooer missus) and it didn't seem too bad (like I would know) so I didn't bother.
Hope these suggestions help.

Dave

looks like we're thinking along the same lines Dave :wink2:
I just replaced my bush as the new one piece rod I fitted still wobbled about in the old bush.

Word of advice to anyone replacing the clutch push rod bush. Don't drill it out as advised on mikesxs and other places. There is too much risk of doing damage . The bush has a split ...Its far easier to just prise the bush out by driving a thin driver blade behind the edge of the split in the bush and pulling it out with pliers.
video here .

Thanks, fellers. Looks like it is a worn bush, and probably replacement pushrod. Now I know what it is I will put it on my list for winter, and sit and watch the video with the rain and snow blowing past my open garage door.

Anlaf

Last edited:
Thanks, TwoMany. Got that. Don't they have those interence press-fit things in the flywheel? I haven't looked on the manual, but the old British bikes I worked on had those little circular pieces of metal pressed in there. Something to do with the plasticity of the surrounding metal as I recall.

Anlaf

the oem bushes are sprung steel made with a split so they stay in their socket without needing to be pressed in and are easier to get out again without the need to drill them out:wink2:.

Don't they have those interence press-fit things in the flywheel? I haven't looked on the manual, but the old British bikes I worked on had those little circular pieces of metal pressed in there. Something to do with the plasticity of the surrounding metal as I recall.

Anlaf

There's interference fits all over the place. Valve guides, swingarm bushings, crankpins, cylinder sleeves, ...etc.

I think the one piece rods came first, they used the two piece rods made of aluminum in the later bikes. They used aluminum so the expansion rate of the rods better matched the cases so there would be less cold to hot clutch changes.
This lead to extra wear on the bush and seal. Swapped on problem for another.
Leo

Now they are back to one piece rods, I suppose of aluminium. I'll swap that bush when I get a chance. It's not urgent, and I suppose it will last a while when I do.

Anlaf

Back