new to bikes but building anyway.

ilostmywallet

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey I'm new to this site. I don't really have much experience with bikes, but I've worked on cars and snowmobiles. So if you have any tips or recommendations, it will be appreciated. I have 2 xs650's one is just a 79 frame that was given to me, the other is an 81 I bought for $100.

The 79 frame was a hack job hardtail, bars welded to a bent and extended swing arm. It was literally falling apart at the seems (or welds). So I took off what already hasn't fallen off, ground it down, and just figured to order a weld on hardtail from tc bros would be a good option. This is the frame I am going to be using. I don't know if the motor mounts will work, but I was going to try something. I've read these engines have a lot of vibration, I was going to modify one of those hard rubber mounts to help this. Or if someone makes a product for an xs I'd like to know.

The 81 was delivered to me in a bronco II and was torn apart. All the bolts and everything was in one box. The frame is cut on one side, so I'm using the other one . The only thing I'm interested in on this bike is the engine, the kick stand inside the engine is broke. The person I bought it from said I can file the part down (I have no idea what the part is called yet). But I would rather get a new one. I have only glanced at this engine once or twice, will be looking at it a lot closer this coming week.

That's pretty much it, I know I've introduced the bike more than me. Sorry, any grammar or spelling errors, I use my phone and its hard to post stuff.

Oh and the wheels. The spoked rims are in awesome shape, and I was wondering about the tires, they are avenger ST2000. If anyone knows about these tires please let me know, I've looked.

Thank you!

WELCOME!
The motor/frame swap should go just fine. Are you talking about the kick STARTER?
Unless you have proof that the tires are newer, just replace them, it's safer, and not all that costly.
Don't know of any rubber motor mounts...
IMO...TCBros are great guys and make a great product.

We love pics!....hint, hint.

Ask more questions, you will be amazed at all the info/knowledge here!

Back