New to the forum/xs650, need help

YooperXS

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Picked up a bike in North Dakota (81 Special, 14k)

rode her to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

been reading alot on this forum but still need some help

engine is using oil at a strong rate but no noticeable leaks or smoking. runs strong. Fill it to between mark and within 100 miles barely registering on Dip stick. clutch slips at full throttle when she's low.

Plastic bits and metal flakes in oil filter. how long before I pull engine and put new guide in?

will be gone for summer to work on fishing boat in alaska, but would like to limp her through the fall when I get back.

Thanks so much. This board seems really helpful.

Firstalbum101.jpg

Welcome aboard! Is the chain well oiled? Loose sprocket and clutch rod seals are favorite leaker spots. If it has been sitting a long time, using it may soften oil seals and slow losses. You might want to try some PB blaster in the jugs let r sit a day or two and see how it does. Did you pull the sump oil filter? It's torn and needs to be replaced. Once that's done yeah you can probably make it though a UP fall, what's that anyways, 3 days? Adjust the clutch, don't use auto oil.

Last edited:
Are the spark plugs black? The head gasket may be passing oil from the cam chain tunnel into the cylinders. You might not see smoke, but someone following behind you will see puffs of black smoke.

thanks guys. I think it was the clutch rod seal and combo of chain not being oiled. She's not using hardly a drop now.

Loving this bike. Too bad I gotta head to the great white north.

Back