new to xs 650

jtmckelvey33

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
HELLOOOOOOOO
I recently received a 1981 xs650 from my nephew. He bought it off e bay:doh:. It is a mess so the kid gave it to me to work on.I am a newbie to the Yamaha. The engine is missing all ignition stuff, carburetors, starter,which I am wondering if I can block and go kick only? will probably bob it. will be on the look out for lots of stuff. all help will be greatly appreciated

Doesn't your nephew like you, lol.

Depends on what you are expecting for an ignition. The 81 doesn't have any points and the factory electronic ignition had a black box under the battery box and the pick up was on the stator about 2 oclock

This link may help, with the Tech Menu and google search, you will find anything you need to know

Thanks for the info. If I go with the Pampco does that mean I can do awAy with the rest of the stuff around the cam. It is just a hole thru the cam shaft now

I think an inventory of what you have would be a good idea before you go throwing money out there. Get a manual or find the link to the downloadable one here in the forum. You may have what you need as far as the ignition setup.

Another good idea is to take lots of pictures and post them up for the viewing audience to look at and help identify what parts you have and what you may need to get.

JT, with the pamco you will need to get all that stuff( rod, advancer unit, ect) because the pamco uses the old stock point's location and advance unit. Klik the Mikes link at the top and check there for the whole kit. From what I've read here about the pamco, it's a pretty good unit. I still run the factory elec. ignition, so far, so good. And in the sticky's there is info on how to repair the stock elec. unit.
Edit, sorry, I guess that ignition kit is no longer available. I could only see a whole kit with a permanent magnet charging system. That is alot of coin for the kit.:twocents:

Depends on what you are expecting for an ignition. The 81 doesn't have any points and the factory electronic ignition had a black box under the battery box and the pick up was on the stator about 2 oclock

. If I go with the Pampco does that mean I can do awAy with the rest of the stuff around the cam. It is just a hole thru the cam shaft now

?????????? What "rest of the stuff around the cam" If there is just a hole what are you talking about?

You need to define what you have, or supposed to have. I posted what you should have for an ignition

Gordon, Yea a lot of Aussies coming on here, funny thing is they ask about where to get stuff and haven't even tried to contact the Aussie club for local knowledge. :laugh:

Gordon, Still pamco units and they have the E-advance now.
Part #14-0913 Second down from top
or
Part #14-0907 11 down from the top.

Isn't that funny. Remember the old 650 Rider site? I got a link on that site to the club and got alot of info from there. On Mike's XS,
I guess my eye's are worse than I thought, I did not see that when I went there. I guess thats obvious 'cause I wouldn't have edited my statement. I almost got one of those when they first came out. Was going to do the PMA set up, but finally figured out my charging problem.
Well, I have held this thread hostage long enough, real good to read from you again, Skull. G'Day

Back