New to XS650's

gnick

gnick
Reaction score
Hello,

Just saying hi and introducing myself.

Bought an xs650 today that is in need of some help. I've had cb's and sportsters in the past, but was lured in by the extensive aftermarket for these bikes and the cool looking projects everyone builds from them. After getting it home and looking it over i feel like it might be a little more screwed up than I'd like but im only 500$ into it so It's not the end of the world if I needed to part it out or something. He had a title too, which is great, since so many of these old bikes dont have titles around here.

its a 1978. the dude put extended fork tubes, and a king and queen chopper seat on it. he didnt cut or grind the frame anywhere. He pulled off a lot of the stock parts, some of which came with it. The wire harness doesn't look too bad, just some cut wires where he removed the turn signals. The electric start doesn't work. bike had good compression, and I heard it run for a minute before it cut out. I pulled a plug out and it was fouled out pretty bad and old.

my goal is really just to get it running and reliable again. then maybe somewhere down the line weld one of those cool hardtail, or brat bike assembly's. I love having projects to work on and have finished and ridden a few successful ones over the past 5 years. This is probably the most ambitious, but I'm looking forward to learning a lot and having a good time doing it.

Anyways, just wanted to say hello. Hopefully you can see the pics I'm trying to attach.

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).JPG
    photo 1 (3).JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 217
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 232
  • photo 3 (1).JPG
    photo 3 (1).JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 235
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 231
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 221
welcome!

yeah, those fork tubes are whack (and maybe the seat too) but the bike seems far and away from a part out. you can make anything from that with enough money, time and skill.

thanks man

yea...cant stand the rake. Hoping I can do a front end swap somewhere int he future. Seems to be a lot of information here on it.

Pipes are rad and the engine looks clean to me... but yeah it looks like an idea that never got fully flushed out over all.

Definitely a great blank canvas once you start tearin off all the oddball stuff and simplifying things a bit.

Yea - I was lucky enough to get it fired up and take it around the block. Started right up after I jumped it. Its really tough to ride with that front end, but I really have fallen in love with the look of the motor and the sound it creates.

I'm not sure if I want to put a stock XS front end on it right away just so I can get a few summer/fall rides in, or if I should start thinking about upgrading to something else now.

the wiring harness is a mess too. Might be a good idea to start looking at the aftermarket options for that.

Welcome to the forum.
Your bikes a good place to start. Being a 78 it has some of the upgrades that came along. The linked carbs are one of them. 35 mm forks with the single piston brake caliper another.
It still has points unless they were swapped out for something else.
I would suggest getting a repair manual as a first step. biker.net has a factory book for download. Ebay has the Clymer and Haynes books as well as factory books.
Another thing is to look through the XS650TECH section found up at the top of the page.
www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf is another good download.
You can either replace the front forks with stock length or replace those too long tubes with stock length tubes. Either way a tear down and rebuild won't hurt. You can read the Minton Mods for one step in improving the forks or maybe cartridge emulators.
A different seat will greatly improve the looks.
Once you get the engine running well a few things that help are tapered steering head bearings to replace the loose balls. If you plan on keeping the swing arm for long A set of bronze bushings is a good idea.
If you can't deal with points then there are several aftermarket ignitions out there, I suggest the Pamco, The new e-advancer works well and is an easy install. Has great customer support as well.
Leo

Welcome to the fold! Looks like a great start there. why go after a new front end though...just put new fork tubes on (and upgrade the bearings while your at it if not already done)

Back