New Xs new login

GRM

Self taught trained professional
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Greg here. I bought a new xs650 a couple weeks ago. Hadn't logged in in a few years after I sold the 82 I had so I had to do a new sign up. The new bike is a 1980 that needs a lot of work. Anyway, I figured I would say hello again After being away for so long.

Hey Machine. Not to change the subject, but how did you know Roland put B8ES plugs in my head?

Well, shux lol I don’t know Roland.
But I zoomed in to look at the plug caps and such and saw that B8ES as plain as day ?
I researched NGK company history just a little today and it seems the “new” USA production facility opened in 1976. I tried to figure out if BP7ES plugs existed prior to 76 ?
Couldn’t find more info. I am very glad you did find your book spec NGK B8ES.
I am more familiar with the 77’ on XS’s and felt a little bad for possibly misguiding you Gator :bow2:
-RT

Thanks machine. Not really sure if it's special or special II ... current state of disrepair

Attachments

• 20190627_172000.jpg
    20190627_172000.jpg
    293.4 KB · Views: 104
Correction, I've had the bike a month. It's at a local shop I hang out at (I help him he lets me work on my bike there). Found out through extensive testing after wiring in a new fuse block that the ignition pickup is dead .. a big OL on the dvom black to gray and black to orange

Great project ! Just peeking at the rear cast wheel, I’d guess that you found a Special. An 80 is a great base to build a custom on for sure !
-R

Correction, I've had the bike a month. It's at a local shop I hang out at (I help him he lets me work on my bike there). Found out through extensive testing after wiring in a new fuse block that the ignition pickup is dead .. a big OL on the dvom black to gray and black to orange
Those seldom ever fail. Look behind the sprocket and see if a wire got sawed in half.

Those seldom ever fail. Look behind the sprocket and see if a wire got sawed in half.
I pulled it all the way out of the bike and removed the plastic sheathing all 3 wires are intact plug to sensor.

Great project ! Just peeking at the rear cast wheel, I’d guess that you found a Special. An 80 is a great base to build a custom on for sure !
-R
thanks some po cut the rear frame and removed the tank so I'm thinking a brat/chopper build is in order. Another friend of mine gave me a genuine hardly ableson sportster tank that will be incorporated

Well that sucks. Broke wire woulda' been a cheap fix...

Yup. So now I'm researching different ignition systems since it seems the pickup is no longer available and pamco Pete shut down operations.

Yup. So now I'm researching different ignition systems since it seems the pickup is no longer available and pamco Pete shut down operations.
Run a Wanted ad. Lotsa people went PMA and got rid of the TCI iggy. They're out there. I got my spare pickup (just in case) from someone who switched out the alternator and iggy system. Ya never know....

Last edited:
Thanks machine. Not really sure if it's special or special II ... current state of disrepair

Hi Greg and welcome back,
the photo shows that a PO has removed most or all of the parts that made your bargain a Special or a Special II.
Makes it easier to build up the bike to what you want it to be.

I've already got everything to do the pma. I'm just going to wait a couple more weeks and pull the trigger on the xscharge ignition kit from tc bros.

Back