Newb Question, How to remove seat

PoltART

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just purchased my first cafe bike today. A 81 XS650 Special 2.

I am trying to tear it down and ran into a problem. I can't figure out how to remove the seat. It is probably a stupid question, but I can't find out how to remove it.

(Sorry first post is already asking for help. I was planning to start a build thread in the very near future, but already ran into this issue heh.)

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Hello Scabber,

Actually I was just in the garage and managed to find it. Another issue that came up is that even though I pulled the lever the seat didn't come out. I think the left side was just stuck.

Thanks for the info however!

I look forward to posting my build thread shortly and learn a lot from you guys! :D

Welcome.

Doing a tear down and, I assume a hardtail with Hughs PMA, Pamco, and Peanut/Sportster tank, and you don't know, or can't work out how to remove a seat.

The gate is open and the horse has bolted.

All i can say is the Tech menu and Google search are the 2 things you need to learn to use.

Any and all the information about how to tune an XS650 and any associated mechanical and general things you will need to know, and things that should have been tried and tested before any tear-down was started, is in there.

Questions asked and answered, in numerous threads that will relate to the problems that are going to arise, especially as to why my Pamco has blown? and is my mechanical problem caused by an electrical or carb problem? or why won't my bike run properly when i have charged up my battery that the PO said was new 5 years ago?

Welcome.

Doing a tear down and, I assume a hardtail with Hughs PMA, Pamco, and Peanut/Sportster tank, and you don't know, or can't work out how to remove a seat.

All i can say is the Tech menu and Google search are the 2 things you need to learn to use.

Any and all the information about how to tune an XS650 and any associated mechanical and general things you will need to know, and things that should have been tried and tested before any tear-down was started, is in there.

Questions asked and answered, in numerous threads that will relate to the problems that are going to arise, especially as to why my Pamco has blown? and is my mechanical problem caused by an electrical or carb problem? or why won't my bike run properly when i have charged up my battery that the PO said was new 5 years ago?

For being such an informative poster you sure are an ass.

Welcome.

Thanks for the input 650Skull. Actually the first thing I did was use google and tried to search for seat removal, after a few pages of no luck I tried searching this forum for the same issue.

Maybe I didn't go deep enough, but I had no luck.

So at that point I thought I would ask, and I knew it was going to be a stupid question, and after I posted I still went in and tried to figure it out and managed to get it off.

However I am not completely clueless even though first impression may suggest. I do have experience with motorcycles, so I actually felt stupid for even having to ask about this. But that is what I am here for, to learn.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I do appreciate it! :)

The stock 81-83 seat can be a pain to release. Push it back on so both sides are latched. Turn key, push lever back, then raise the LEFT side first, then the pull up on the right side. If you pull up the right side first the left will usually get stuck.

Is this bike running GOOD? Start a custom by getting the stock bike in excellent running condition BEFORE the tear down. There I've done my good deed for the day and I can be a smart ass again.

I thought the other's were being nice AND helpful (you'll understand later) You should try a post like that on chop cult.

Well just ask away and post away.
That's way this place is here for.
Skull probably is cold u no its winter down there.
Hes no ars he's just funny.
When all else fails just use a bigger hammer!
It is also a well known fact that many times,right after asking the question a guy will remember or figure out the answer before the answer is given.
Welcome to all the is XS650 the good,bad and ugly!!!~!

The stock 81-83 seat can be a pain to release. Push it back on so both sides are latched. Turn key, push lever back, then raise the LEFT side first, then the pull up on the right side. If you pull up the right side first the left will usually get stuck.

Is this bike running GOOD? Start a custom by getting the stock bike in excellent running condition BEFORE the tear down. There I've done my good deed for the day and I can be a smart ass again.

I thought the other's were being nice AND helpful (you'll understand later) You should try a post like that on chop cult.

Thanks for the info Gary, I will make sure to do that next time I get any issues with this thing.

The bike runs great actually. It seems to be bone stock. It idles strong and solid, starts of first turnover (kick) battery is dead so the electric start isn't working, but I managed to start it a couple times that way as well.

It just seems the bike has been neglected so I will just have to start tearing it down and doing maintenance first. I have started a build thread for all of that though. :)

:laugh:that's funny, exactly what i do! i always thought it was just a little quirk with my bike, didn't know it was universal.

Thanks for the input 650Skull. Actually the first thing I did was use google and tried to search for seat removal, after a few pages of no luck I tried searching this forum for the same issue.

Maybe I didn't go deep enough, but I had no luck.

So at that point I thought I would ask, and I knew it was going to be a stupid question, and after I posted I still went in and tried to figure it out and managed to get it off.

However I am not completely clueless even though first impression may suggest. I do have experience with motorcycles, so I actually felt stupid for even having to ask about this. But that is what I am here for, to learn.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, I do appreciate it! :)

No question is ever stupid and as ggGary explained these seats do have a system to coming off. I find it hard to explain as it is a thing i just do without any thought as to how.

My post was more to do with thinking you had started to tear it down without learning the basics about these bikes, (happens a lot), and later a lot of builders haven't taken the time to get to know the bike and hence the problems and lots of questions about probs that shouldn't have happened.

More of a facetious post than derogatory.

If i remember there has only been a couple of times this has been explained so would be hard to find in a search.

Skull probably is cold u no its winter down there.
!

Yea winter has hit with a vengeance in the last couple of weeks. Has got own to single digits a couple of times and only gets to 23-4 degrees in the daytime......................Did i mention that is Celsius not Fahrenheit.

In this thread you call this a Cafe bike, in your other thread about this same bike you call it building a Street Tracker. 2 very different styles. which is it going top be?

Dave, I admit I am clueless when it comes to this stuff as I only recently got into it. I am not great with labels and don't completely understand the difference between the two. My main goal is to make this thing look aggressive/cool.

Here is one photo of a build I like:

building-a-cafe-racer-xs650-625x416.jpg

Again, I am unsure about the labels; so I guess we will find out what it ends up being called. :)

Back