Newbie here, My first XS650

glaswerks

XS650 Newbie (Still a newbie)
Reaction score
Name is Gary and located in Phoenix Arizona. Just getting back into motorcycles after about 28 years. Used to work for a Kawasaki dealer as a mechanic back in the 70's.

Been looking for a new project bike and picked up a 77 XS650 yesterday. Still have not decided exactly what I am going to do with it, either a street tracker of cafe racer. Still up in the air.

This thing is a little rough, starts and runs. Ugly as sin paint job, love the graphics:).

Here are the before pictures. (BTW, the bike in the background is a 79 CB650 I recently brought back to life and restored).

IMG_0059.jpg

Looks like someone installed a lowering kit. Yes there really is a 1/16" layer of grease on the swingarm.

IMG_0062.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

Last edited:
When I first got my bike I tore it down and cleaned grease and oil for weeks. Must have ruined about three pair of jeans. Good luck on your build!

Welcome, You got quite a piece there. Good place to start.
Lots of good help on here.
Leo

When I first got my bike I tore it down and cleaned grease and oil for weeks. Must have ruined about three pair of jeans. Good luck on your build!

I am thinking I will order in a box of Tyvex coveralls to wear while I tear it apart, that way I can just throw them away :).

This weekend starts the fun.....

Gary

On "ruining" three pair of jeans, after "ruining" the first pair, save them and wear them when working on the bike. I have a couple pair I use that way.
Leo

Good score! ...My thoughts are , ...It is so close to stock I would keep it close to that. You could sell or trade the tank and covers to someone that had a clean stock tank ect.

Well started the tear down today. Before I yanked the carbs I checked the engine compression. Read about 110 on both cylinders, a little low.

The more panels I yanked, the more I knew I was going to need to do a total wire.

Check this out :).

IMG_0115.JPG

IMG_0116.JPG

If thats the only thing you find that's not stock, then you have a fuse upgrade is all.
Looks like the PO just took out the round glass fuse holder and swapping in an inline blade fuse holder.
He could have used a better fuse holder, I like them to have a cover.
Leo

Well this project finally is resurfacing after a year of sitting in the garage. Thought it would be completed by now, but life and my wifes passing last year put everything thing on hold.

I will post incremental pictures of the progress as it moves along. Have most of the pieces, time to finalize the teardown.

Sorry to hear of your wife passing. A good project bike helps to keep ones mind occupied. What are your plans for the bike. Are you rebuilding the motor. I would replace the chain and sprockets. The rear sprocket looks badly worn from the picture. Some more pictures of the Honda would be nice. Keep posting pictures of your progress. :thumbsup:

Plan is for a cafe racer. Bought the following toys for the bike...

XS750 tank
Cafe seat from I dont remember
Clips ons
New Speedo and Tach from Mikes
Radian Swingarm
Lucas style headlight
New handbar controls
etc etc.

I will rebuild the engine, might go with a 750 kit for fun. Carbs will probably be original, but this is still in limbo. I am designing my own regulator for the bike as well as a solid state flasher. Ignition will be Pameco and one of Hughes alternators. Still deciding on exhaust. I like the looks of the Commando style on these bikes.

Will keep me busy for a while :).

I will dig around for pics of the CB650. I sold it shortily after these pictures were taken. BOught it for 250, put about 200 into it and sold it for 1800.00.

For wiring clean-up (among other things), find a can of a product called the Tannery. It's a rubber-vinyl-leather-plastic cleaner and conditioner in a spray can. Wonderful stuff and cleans the wiring up very nicely. You won't need a fuse block, there was only ever one fuse on your model. Here's a pic of the original, a plastic holder with a spare fuse stored alongside the wired one. The only things wrong with what was done on yours is the over-abundance of electrical tape and the fact that they have the cable from the battery to the starter relay installed upside down. The end with the small red wire pigtailed off should be connected to the battery.

OriginalFuse.jpg

Got some time to work on the projecty today. Got the new top clamp installed, clipons and headlight bracket. Test fitting for tank clearance

Also removed the battery box. What a PITA that was. Here are a few pics of progress.

Test fitting the front end.
MP3A2685.jpg

MP3A2686.jpg

MP3A2687.jpg

To loop or not to loop. Still up in the air.
MP3A2688.jpg

Still have a bit more grinding to do.
MP3A2689.jpg

Coming along nicely I must say. I like the café style. Where did you get the headlight brackets ? The front end looks really clean like the top triple clamp. The commando exhaust is a good choice not real loud like the short reverse cones. Plus the classic look of the twin exhaust. :thumbsup:

Coming along nicely I must say. I like the café style. Where did you get the headlight brackets ? The front end looks really clean like the top triple clamp. The commando exhaust is a good choice not real loud like the short reverse cones. Plus the classic look of the twin exhaust. :thumbsup:

The headlght brackets were an ebay item, about $37.00 as I remember. Next step is to finalize the removal of the old wiring harness. I probably should restart this thread with the cafe tag enabled.

Gary

Back