Newbie XS 650

mcclellan81

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just got my 82 XS650 Heritage Special up and running like it never set for 5 years. It needed very minor things. I just took it out and was blown away.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Photo_65A4B7AE-64E9-637D-B7B0-229D0852819E.jpg
    Photo_65A4B7AE-64E9-637D-B7B0-229D0852819E.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Photo_C80ADB7B-3C2F-780E-E195-FFC671869C31.jpg
    Photo_C80ADB7B-3C2F-780E-E195-FFC671869C31.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Looks like you have a Standard handlebar, replacing the "buckhorn" bar that came on Specials - a good change to make. If you have the original fuse block under the seat, check to make sure that the brass clips that hold the fuses are not brittle and cracked - a common source of electrical failure in our beloved 650's. It happened on my '82 SJ. There are several ways to fix it.

aldo5468. I have just started to deal with this fuse block. I will need to replace the whole thing. It died out of nowhere. So I started at the new battery and then the fuse. The main was melted down because someone used some plastic 5amp fuse holder. I cut that out and replaced it with a 30 amp standard fuse horn, keeping it as a quick fix. Should I look for a new block or just replace them all like that? Thanks.

Looks like you have a Standard handlebar, replacing the "buckhorn" bar that came on Specials - a good change to make.

Agreed. Those buckhorn handlebars are an abomination against cycledom.

The person(s) responsible for those things should have to do a lifetime prison sentence with "Bubba the Booty Bandit". :devil:

Yes I did.....Free. My uncle bought it off the lot. Gave it to my old man to work on and then
passed down to me. I cleaned it all up but it was in pretty good shape when I got it three weeks ago.

Always nice to get a free bike, though yours runs...where mine...well...at the moment I'm currently stuck making engine noises. One of these days.

aldo5468. I have just started to deal with this fuse block. I will need to replace the whole thing. It died out of nowhere. So I started at the new battery and then the fuse. The main was melted down because someone used some plastic 5amp fuse holder. I cut that out and replaced it with a 30 amp standard fuse horn, keeping it as a quick fix. Should I look for a new block or just replace them all like that? Thanks.
If your original fuse block is not damaged (only the brass clips that hold the fuses need replacement), you have two basic options: (1) to replace the clips and continue using glass cartridge-type fuses, the so-called "Radio Shack" fix (which I did), or (2) to totally replace the stock fuse block by splicing in newer-type fuse holders that take the newer-type automotive fuses. Many 650 owners prefer the second, more modern approach to improve reliability; I still had a lot of older-style glass fuses lying around to use if needed in the future, so stayed with the first approach. Mike's XS used to offer a stock-type replacement fuse block, but in checking the website just now, I did not see it listed. Whichever way you go, you need high-quality fuseholders for four fused circuits: 20 amp main, 10 amp signal, 10 amp headlight, and 10 amp ignition. Hope this helps - it is difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot any downstream electrical problems if you are not getting reliable power to all four of these circuits through their respective fuses.

If your original fuse block is not damaged (only the brass clips that hold the fuses need replacement), you have two basic options: (1) to replace the clips and continue using glass cartridge-type fuses, the so-called "Radio Shack" fix (which I did), or (2) to totally replace the stock fuse block by splicing in newer-type fuse holders that take the newer-type automotive fuses. Many 650 owners prefer the second, more modern approach to improve reliability; I still had a lot of older-style glass fuses lying around to use if needed in the future, so stayed with the first approach. Mike's XS used to offer a stock-type replacement fuse block, but in checking the website just now, I did not see it listed. Whichever way you go, you need high-quality fuseholders for four fused circuits: 20 amp main, 10 amp signal, 10 amp headlight, and 10 amp ignition. Hope this helps - it is difficult if not impossible to troubleshoot any downstream electrical problems if you are not getting reliable power to all four of these circuits through their respective fuses.

Awesome. Thank you for the tips. I will take option one. :D

Here's a pic of what I did. The fuse clips from the Radio Shack fuse block fit into the original XS650 fuse block perfectly - a direct replacement. Bend down the tabs at the ends a bit and tin them with acid-free solder, slide them into the XS650 fuseblock, cut the old brass clips off the wires, tin all the wire ends, solder them to the new clips, put in the right-size fuses, and you're good to go. You can search on this site or on the 650Garage website for Radio Shack fuseholder and get the part number - it's only a couple of bucks.

Attachments

• RadioShack fuse box fix.jpg
    RadioShack fuse box fix.jpg
    256 KB · Views: 134
Back