No spark

I have used a inline tester with a light from Harberfreight, and spark plug held against the motor, 1972 XS2 650 all Original
I will check the condensior today

I have a new condensor coming today,,,hope that is the fixer

Last edited:
I just installed a new condensor,,still no spark,,,,so new battery,good coils, new sparkplug wires and conectors, new condensor,,,so what do I need to do or check next

Last edited:
I'm assuming you mean new spark plug caps when you say connectors? And you have 12 volts at the coil?
Have you checked your timing?
What year bike do you have?

Make sure the battery is charged and check the connections on your key switch and kill switch. If they are faulty they can cause the bike not to start.
Double check all your "ground" wires aswell.
If you have power running through the coil too long, without the engine running, it can harm it as well. That's why a kill switch is good to have when doing electrical checks, such as lighting, but if the kill switch is bad then the bike won't start.

You might want to search "no spark". I know this has been covered and there is probably something in there that will help you.

I have the headlight off and the wireing in the bucket is a mess,,,,I can't get the turn signals to work ,,,I had to remove the ingnition switch to ger a key made,,,thought I put it back the way it was ,,,but maybe not,,,,like I said real mess,,,spliced wires from PO,,,tired to go color to coler,,,new at wireing diagrams....

I have points on the leftside of the bike,,they look good,,on the rightside of the bike, I think it is somekind of advance,,I saw a video on checking it and it springs right back,does is this mean it is good??? mine does not spring right back, it pulls apart and stays there until u push it back,,I take it this is not right,,,If so what do I need to do or what does this mean???

Last edited:
Well my friend, you have a lot of issues with her. It's time to really study what needs to be done in order to get her going properly.

In a nut shell:
Basically, the advance opens wider the faster the engine turns. So, it is supposed to spring right back. Yours is faulty.
The wiring on these bikes is not hard, at all, but PO's jack it all up and do stupid, stupid things to it.
You need to get Clymer or Haynes manual and read it, if you haven't already.
Go to the "tech" section and read every part of
"Maintenance and Basic Troubleshooting" from "General xs650 troubleshooting" to "How to Check and Change oil....". Seriously read these and all the threads within them.
The smallest item missed will drive you nuts and jumping around from one thing to another will only waste time and money.
Please take my advice. I know it sucks not being able to just hop on it and ride, but braking down miles from home, or worse, having the bike burn to the ground (which happens) is not good.

Good first thread to read: http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=390

Aww shit, first post guys! Well I just had this problem. If you can take your finger and wiggle your advance at all that could be your problem. There is a pin that locks it in place and mine fell out causing it to not spin when It should be and by that happening it keeps your points from actually opening and closing giving you no spark.

Mine is tight, like I said I can open with my finger and they stay open until I push them closed,,is this good or bad?
I am reading everything I can find.

Thanks for the help everyone,,I would love the hear this bike run

Bad, the advance needs to open when pushed and snap shut. the advance rod runs through the inside of the cam on two bearings. Best to disassemble, remove and clean IF you are confident you can do it with out doing further damage and reassemble all the little parts in the correct order and position then reset timing to factory specs.

No that is not a no spark issue. Do you know how to check and set points? Yes it can be done with the motor in the bike.

Have you got a repair manual? It explians how to do a tune up. Biker.net has them to download. Readup on it, do it. Not hard just has to be done in the proper order.
Leo

I just found out yesterday the compression is not that good on the leftside 90 the right is 120,,,I lowered my sale price to $850.00,,,good bike,,I not sure of a top end,,,over my head I think,,thanks for the tips,,I am still going to get it started if it will.

I read alot of the things sugested and final got spark to the plugs and she fired rightup ,,,blew out the rats nest from the muffler and runs great,,i rode her around the block a couple of times and let run for 20 to 30 min. What a bike,,,,i might just keep her now,,,but the price has gone up if i do sale this one,,,,

thanks for all of everyones help and advise

Last edited:
Back