Oil filter/cooling kit ? Worthit??

JohnB53

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Looking for parts today for my 1981 XS650 special and ran across the( Heiden Tuning of Holland) oil filter/cooling kit for 100.00 (mikes XS) and am wondering if it is worth the money. The bike will have a 652 Velorex sidecar hooked to it. Mostly lower speed driving but could see more higher speeds depending how it goes as this is my first rig. Thanks John

As a filter upgrade paper cartridge over the side screen I think they are good. I am not convinced the extra surface area offered by the fins offers any real world cooling advantages.
Having said that I bought one and have made 3 copies for different XS's.
Some of the more analytical forum members may have done tests on oil temps with and without the filter kit.
Fitting a proper oil cooler is not hard there is info on how to do it on this site, two things to watch though. Make sure the cooler inlet and outlet are at the top and mount the cooler so it does not obstruct airflow to the head.

If you're talking about the large side filter cover with fins on it, I don't think that helps much. If you really need extra cooling, an actual radiator style oil cooler would probably work best.

I'm not sure just what that kit is and with the way my internet is working I doubt I can search on it.
If it is one of the side cover kits that let you use a Honda type paper filter and the cover has a few cooling fins it will improve the filtration but they don't cool much. A few degrees from the things I've heard.
I modified a side cover so the all oil has to go out one fitting and return at another. With this set up I add an external oil filter. My set up can use and standard oil filter that has the same thread as a Fram PH8A.
I can also plumb in an oil cooler. I ran one from an 82 Yamaha Seca 650 turbo. It's about the same size as the one Mike's sells.
With just the oil filter inline the oil temps and head and cylinder temps dropped about 5 degrees.
Adding the cooler it dropped those same temps by about 50 degrees. As far as the oil goes that's a bit cool. Around 150 degrees, this is too cool to evaporate moisture and other things that get in the oil. Should be about 180 degrees.
I have a cooler I got off Ebay that is only about 3/4's the size of the one I have. Being smaller it may not cool as much but I haven't got the set on the bike to test with. I had to remove it to try Mike's 1.5 inch headers. The bends don't match stock and didn't have clearance around the oil cooler fittings.
I have since built my own headers that have the clearance but have not gotten the side cover with the fittings on the bike.
Once I do I can report back the results but that will have to wait till next season.
If you search oil coolers on here you can find out what some of us have tried and the results.
Leo

In response to what Signal mentioned about mounting the cooler.
I have found that when mounting the cooler in front the head all the air flow through the cooler will still flow around the head.
The extra cooling from the cooler will more than compensate for any air flow loss around the head.
I don't think the inlet and outlet on the cooler make much difference. The cooler I was using was mounted on the Seca with the fittings on the bottom. That's how I mounted mine. Right up under the steering neck on the frame down tubes.
When you start the engine it only takes a second or two to get oil flow to the head. I doubt that extra time will hurt anything.There should be enough residual oil film on the rockers and such, as well as all the oil that gets splashed up by the timing chain.
Leo

DSCF0417.JPG
DSCF0408.JPG

You could just add a spin-on filter to primary cover, almost as much cooling as the finned aluminum thingy. Cost me about 20 bucks, including the filter.

Leo I have no doubt you are correct with your comments on the orientation and mounting of a remote oil cooler. I have the mixed blessing of a perfectionist, and your post reminds me that perfection is the enemy of good.

Well thanks for all the good info. I have decided to go with the kit from Mikes XS mostly for the filter replacement ease So like a drunken sailor on Friday night I broke out the old card and spent the afternoon spending my hard earned money on my new project. For those that don't know what it is I bought a 1981 XS650 special , a low mileage(8244), one owner that had sat for a few years with stator failure. I had earlier thought I needed a 2003 Velorex 562 so I bought that too. Not sure how much I will get done this winter as I have a motor rebuild to do first on a homebuilt VW trike for a nice ride next summer with my son. I am sure I will be back with more questions and hopefully a pic or 2. Later John

Not sure how much I will get done this winter as I have a motor rebuild to do first on a homebuilt VW trike
John,
You are certainly a guy (like me) who loves projects !

As for the Heiden Tuning filter kit, I have been running three of them on my XS's for a couple years, with nothing but positive things to say. I think they look great for an aftermarket tweek, and even if the cooling and filtration advantages are small, the 100 bucks are well worth it, IMHO.

I have that Heiden unit on my 77 and had problems with knocking engine at low rpms and idle.
I ended up changing out the paper filter that comes with the unit and installed a SS filter with more flow, problem solved.
I tried it with no filter and new Rite away that was the issue. May have some internal issues going on and the
more restrictive paper filer showed that but changing it out has so far cured the noise.I have no clue if it helps with
cooling having done no testing, others may have. If my bike wouldn't have come with it when I purchased I would not purchase as
I feel its not worth it.Its caused me more grief than happiness ! Worth noting is Hughs Handbuilt sells a similar unit BUT clearly states
that the paper filter is to restrictive for that motor and uses the stock filter with his kit. Marketing bullshit,not sure but I found out the hard way!

"D", in the NE where we live, I don't think it gets hot enough to warrant a cooler. I have one of DogBunny's thermo-dipsticks and usually only see 230° to 240° max, and that takes a pretty long ride. Most of the time on short rides, it barely breaks 200°.

I have one of DogBunny's thermo-dipsticks and usually only see 230° to 240° max, and that takes a pretty long ride. Most of the time on short rides, it barely breaks 200°.

That is precisely my experience with my XS650C - shorter rides run about 200 deg. and longer highway blasts will get it up to 230 or a bit more. Those temps are running the bike in temperatures of up to 90-100 deg ambient, so not cold weather by any means.

I must say, back in the 1970's when I rode an XS650B (ahhh, that sexy colour scheme) I never paid any attention to oil temperatures and I rode that old gal very hard for a very, very long time. Just keep the oil topped up, and all of those roller and ball bearings will look after things quite well.

Yes, I think a thermo-dipstick is a much better investment than any sort of added cooling devices. I have a similar dipstick thermometer on my old BMWs. They exhibit pretty much the same temps. But, one time coming home from a national rally in July, it was a hot day (in the 90's) and I was pushing pretty hard down the interstate (75-80). The oil temp climbed up around 275°. I backed off to a more "sedate" 65-70 and the temp dropped back down.

Worth noting is Hughs Handbuilt sells a similar unit BUT clearly states
that the paper filter is to restrictive for that motor
I just checked out the HH website, and their statement is:

"We’ve tested various filter combinations, checking for oil pressure losses and restriction, and found the OEM style filter works best with the XS650 Oil Pump to keep flow and pressure at a maximum."

.... which is a different statement than the one you have made.

I would be interested in more opinions on this specific filter matter, relative to this style cooler.

I'm running three of them on my '76, 75, and '83.

Last edited:
Post #4..........My take on a few that are available
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter-coolers.51898/#post-546542

Hugh does state

This is the largest Bolt-On Oil Cooler on the market for the XS650 Side Cover.

• *Large Surface Area Increases Cooling Abilities
  • *120cc Oil Capacity Increase
  • *Unique 6 Fin Design
  • *Uses OEM Oil Filter – No restrictive paper elements here!
  • *Brushed Alloy Finish
  • *Includes Stainless Hardware, Gaskets and Copper Sealing Washers.

Post #4..........My take on a few that are available
http://www.xs650.com/threads/oil-filter-coolers.51898/#post-546542

Hugh does state

This is the largest Bolt-On Oil Cooler on the market for the XS650 Side Cover.

• *Large Surface Area Increases Cooling Abilities
  • *120cc Oil Capacity Increase
  • *Unique 6 Fin Design
  • *Uses OEM Oil Filter – No restrictive paper elements here!
  • *Brushed Alloy Finish
  • *Includes Stainless Hardware, Gaskets and Copper Sealing Washers.
Thanks, Skull. Interesting read.

As I see it, the "least restrictive" set-up is to run no filter whatsoever.
But we want some filtration.
From what I have read so far, the advantage of the filtration of the paper filter outweighs the available evidence as to the restriction it presents with.
But I am open to being persuaded to the contrary.
....with clear evidence, in numbers.

Looking for parts today for my 1981 XS650 special and ran across the( Heiden Tuning of Holland) oil filter/cooling kit for 100.00 (mikes XS) and am wondering if it is worth the money. The bike will have a 652 Velorex sidecar hooked to it. Mostly lower speed driving but could see more higher speeds depending how it goes as this is my first rig. Thanks John

Hi John,
I doubt the bike needs it and I dunno if it's worth spending $100 on bling.
What an XS650/Velorex rig will need is a 36T rear sprocket.
Are you having the sidecar professionally installed or DIY?
Here's some pics of my install:-
IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0014.JPG P1020099.JPG P1020100.JPG
The rig will just about top 65mph flat out but it's far happier cruising at 55 or so.
And if you've never driven a sidecar before, like I was told when I bought my first rig, "Watch it Kid, these things steer funny."
Because it ain't a bike no more, it only looks like one.

Attachments

• IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 141
Back