OIl Flow !

Bob Kelly III

Ranch Kid from way back,.... that got Old !
Reaction score
I was reading an old thread and Angus mentioned is old oil pump spreyed oil everywhere without the valve covers on.......
On some of the older bikes ( old Pushrod honda 90's for example) you have to bleed the oil to the valve cover .... do you have to do that on an XS650 ?
i ask because I took off the valve covers onthe left front and the engine was idling and it didn't sprey oil anywhere ..... maybe this is my noise problem as well if it ain't curculateing oil it would be noisy !!!!
how can I check the oil circulation ...just to be safe ? crack the banjo bolt loose and see if oil seaps out ?
that would seam reasonable ...or is there a definate oil system check Yamaha uses ?
thanks for the help fellers !
Bob.........

Yes.loosen the top banjo bolts. Look inside the covers at your cam. I hope it is okay.

Yikes! That would definitely worry ME!

Do a forum search on "cover oil spray".
There'll be about 120 threads, of which 1/4 are relevant to your issue.

Edit: Also search "flashlight cam"...

If you dont get oil pumping thru the delivery tube, take it off. Make sure its clear. If it is, leave it off. With the ignition off (dont want to start it). Use the starter to crank it over. See if oil pours out of the union bolt area. Still nothing,? Yank the clutch cover and inspect the oil pump.

Well 2M that didn't help much, I got 1 of 1...this thread !!!!!!
but I'll look around here and see what I can find !
OK Angus67 will do....
Bob........

OK....False alarm !!!!! I loosened the banjo bolt, turned the key on , hit the starter and it fired up ( had it running earlier)
it idled for about 10~20 seconds and then oil started seaping above and below its washers ( had to use my flashlight to see it)
so I do have oil flow......
it gave me fits trying to start it today....earlier.... I gott'a pull those carbs one more time and go through the choke system on it... never touched them in all the times I had them off....now I wish I had ! ....
thanks fer the help Guys.....Again !!!!!
Bob...........

BK III ! Great news, those moments of wonder always bug me lol.. here's something. I see most of "us" refer to using the starter. Now, I find it much easier to diagnose my own tune by using my same start ritual .. it goes like this : hand turn the engine over a couple revs to get fresh mix breathing in the carbs and "feel" the engine. Set it around tdc.. set that choke and stomp it thru on the center stand one or likely two kicks usually works.. ( tho ystdy took 3) these sometimes finiky twins are easy to "read" if you have a repeated ritual ? I have great luck tuning this way and just keep my electric start working just good enough for a back up, say your leg hurts or sumpin. . Fun kick starting these ! -RT

I'll keep that in mind TM but at 64yrs I don't have the Kick I used to have ! LOL
Just for S&G's and piece of mind...... I strarted the bike again it was hesitant because it was almost cold again ( its cold in the shop!)
anyway got her running and warmed up . turned it off and pulled the LH front valve cover with the 4 bolts....
set it on the floor and turned the key on and started her..... I didn't see any oil spreying out and thought oh no! I put my hand infront of the hole and got a supprisingy strong wind blowing out of it , didn't feel any oil at all and I thought ooooh man this is not good ..... turned my hand over and it was covered in green oil ! i said WOW looked around and then I could see the mist comming out'a that hole ! it covered the front tire , the fork the frame and then it started smoking because it was on the exhaust pipe too !!!! .....i turned it off ! and started wiping up the oil..... but that is one Mess I was happy to clean up, i will say !....
so I am getting the oil out the valve covers like I should be !!!!! WOOO HOOO !
so I canset to rest the oil not curculating worry..... Man am I glad of that !
althouth there is still that Wrrrrrr noise ....
i've listened to alot of bikes this morning of guys making a video and recording of the sound it makes and posting them
None of them sound as loud as this girl !!!! One of them had a slight wrrrrrrr to it but not like this this almost drounds out the exhaust !
..... I guess I should make a video of it making the sound and see if our resident Gurues can hear what I'm complaining about...it should be pritty evident if they can hear it ! !!!!!!!
.... but for now I'm going to call it a day...been us sense about 8:00pm last night so it's been a long one and it's bed time !
if I had a beer I'ed celibrate ! SHE's GOT OIL FLOW !!!!!! HAHAHAHAH !
C ya' and thanks again for all the help !
.....Bob..........

...Do a forum search on "cover oil spray".
There'll be about 120 threads, of which 1/4 are relevant to your issue...

Well 2M that didn't help much, I got 1 of 1...this thread !!!!!!
but I'll look around here and see what I can find !

Something goofy there. Should've produced this.
SearchScreenshot_20170326.jpg

I got a big list with the "Flashlight cam" search !!!! i've been slowly reading through them !
THANK YOU !
Bob......

Back