Oil Leak From Filter Housing

geedubya

geedubya
Top Contributor
Reaction score
G'day All,

I cannot seem to stop oil leaking from the filter cover in the RH engine/clutch cover.

I have tried new gasket, no luck.

New gasket and Permatex sealant, no luck.

I have the gasket (new) under the filter element as per the parts cattle-dog.

Very frustrating.

Regards,

GW
Filter Element and Gasket.PNG

Filter Element and Gasket.PNG
Filter and Housing.JPG

GW, you'll want to scrape away the residual gasket around the 2 cover screws. You'll also need a new cover gasket, #8 in this pic.
70-73 RightCover.jpg

I made my gasket from slightly thicker material.
71XS1B-OilScreenCover02.jpg

A thin coat of grease on both sides of the gasket helps it to seal, and makes removal easier, without damaging the gasket...

GW, you'll want to scrape away the residual gasket around the 2 cover screws. You'll also need a new cover gasket, #8 in this pic.
View attachment 130051

I made my gasket from slightly thicker material.
View attachment 130052

A thin coat of grease on both sides of the gasket helps it to seal, and makes removal easier, without damaging the gasket...

G'day 2M,

I will try your idea of manufacturing a thicker gasket and reply accordingly, thanks for your suggestion.

GW

And don't forget the thorough cleaning. It's essential that the sealing surfaces are "eat-off-it" clean. I just use motor oil on my gasket but it has been working and sealing well for many, many years. I replaced it when I got the bike of course, but don't think I have since. Oh wait, just checked my notes, I upgraded to a newer cover w/ the oil sight glass in '08 so that was the last gasket change. I am using the green colored Athena gasket.

And don't forget the thorough cleaning. It's essential that the sealing surfaces are "eat-off-it" clean. I just use motor oil on my gasket but it has been working and sealing well for many, many years. I replaced it when I got the bike of course, but don't think I have since. Oh wait, just checked my notes, I upgraded to a newer cover w/ the oil sight glass in '08 so that was the last gasket change. I am using the green colored Athena gasket.

G'day 5T,

Well I used some cork gasket which is 1.6mm in thickness and installed, yes cleaned all surfaces so they were surgically clean, grease on both sides of gasket.

Started machine which at the moment will only run for 20 seconds and then shuts down however, no oil leak......yahoo.

Thank you for your assistance.

GW

kinda late but put some 320 on a flat surface and lap the gasket surface of the cover til the whole surface shows sanding marks, a bit of water n dish soap improves the cutting action. Somebody reefing the crap out of the bolts can warp that cover more than you'd think as thick as it is.

You got me thinking. My early gasketed valve covers. Likely warped at the ears. Will need to cook up a holder for the lathe, maybe a concave cup, pressure clamped by a rotating pad in the tailstock...

You made me think..
I have good results heating aluminum with a propane torch to bend it.
Clamp cover in a padded vice put a long bolt though the ear use two nuts and washers, heat ear and apply pressure to the bolt. Keep heating til you feel the bolt start to move. Gently bend the ear back a bit. I straighten seriously bent brake and clutch levers and aluminum footpeg brackets this way. Don't force, wait til the heat softens the aluminum. it won't be real soft it just slowly yields to your pressure. Patience is a virtue here. Have not melted anything yet, seems the propane is able to just get the aluminum hot enough to allow it to bend without cracking. Wear heavy gloves.............

Last edited:
kinda late but put some 320 on a flat surface and lap the gasket surface of the cover til the whole surface shows sanding marks, a bit of water n dish soap improves the cutting action. Somebody reefing the crap out of the bolts can warp that cover more than you'd think as thick as it is.

G'day ggGary,

Yup I used a surface plate and did jus that.

GW

Back