Oil strainer cover help.

YamahaRD400

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need some advise

I just bought an xs 650 and the oil strainer cover is leaking. I figured no big deal so I bought a Gasket off of Mikes xs and after installing I am still having the leaking problem. I just ordered an oem gasket from Yamaha, the aftermarket gasket I bought was not an exact fit. I plan on coating the new gasket with some 3 bond 1104 gasket sealer.

BUT It seems that the bolts that hold the cover on don't want to stay tight... I retightened the bolts multiple times before I added oil and started the engine. After the engine ran the bolts were loose again. My first question, is this normal?

To me it seems like the threads in the block may be stretching. Should I add some mild loctite to the cover bolts?

Any advise would be great..
Thanks
Rich

yeah, I figured I was heading down that road. was hoping not to.. LOL.

Helicoil is no biggie but I will have to take the engine out to get at the bolts to fix correctly most likely.

Thanks for the help.

underside? take the gas tank off and the battery out, lay the bike over on its side, no need to pull the engine

Hi jayel,
why stop half-way?
All that's needed is a shop crane or 4 burly friends to turn the bike upside down which puts the drilling & Helicoil work in a vertical mode and at a comfortable working height.

I would be willing to work from the bottom so the chips would fall OUT not into the engine........

I might try this; http://www.lowes.com/pd_138174-37672-881173_0__?productId=3012758

Note they are 6.3mm ie a SLIGHT oversize, might have to cut the washers off.

If you do this, do NOT overtighten. The correct (unavailable) factory bolts were designed weak so they would break before you stipped the crankcase. Yamaha KNEW the ham handed would be itching to crank down on those bolts. Mainly to stop leaks from poor cleaning of the gasket surface. I have spent lots of quality time with a razor blade, twisted around upside down, cleaning the crankcase gasket surface of 650s

Are you talking the sump or the round side cover? The round cover takes copper washers to stop oil from seeping out there. If your bolts won't stay tight on the sump, helicoils are the next step.

For the failure to seal problem lay a straight edge along the case. Checking to see if the
"pulled" bolt holes have protruded creating a gap between the hole and case.
Tip from gggGary iirc.

Decided to take my baby apart and do a helicoil fix.. I just bought this bike and it is MINT a small oil leak he said, easy fix he said.. LOL.. No matter I still would have bought it. I am looking forward to my rephrased 750 motor to be completed and installed. Riding again soon, hopefully

Attachments

• TX apart.jpg
    TX apart.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 144
  • TX 650 tracker.jpg
    TX 650 tracker.jpg
    233.1 KB · Views: 130
Boy, that's got all the goodies on it, lol. Whatever you do, don't put any gasket sealer on your filter covers, you'll have a hell of a time getting them off. They seal just fine with a good, lubed gasket if everything mentioned above is OK.

I agree, not going to use gasket sealer. I plan on bringing it to a friend who is a motorcycle mechanic to get it fixed correctly, I will ask him about the timecerts.
Thanks again for the help

Back