PAMCO Electronic advance

I take it the mechanical advance plate has to be left in. Can the weights be removed altogether.

Will this also apply to the future combined Ignition and advance system.

I am working on a complete dummy replacement for the advancer as that will be necessary for the '80 to '83 models.

Update:

I have completed the design for a "dummy" replacement for the advancer and here it is:

adaptor.jpg

Just a simple adapter that eliminates the advancer. I had originally thought of just tying the advancer in the full advance position, but that is crude and ineffective. The slotted disk still bounces around even with the weights tied in the full advance position. I have tested this adapter and the engine runs a lot smoother without the timing bouncing around. This adapter will be included with each electronic advancer and it also answers the problem for '80 to '83 models that don't have the advancer to begin with. They will still have to buy the advance rod and bushings, however.

Update:

I have completed the design for a "dummy" replacement for the advancer and here it is:

adaptor.jpg

Just a simple adapter that eliminates the advancer. I had originally thought of just tying the advancer in the full advance position, but that is crude and ineffective. The slotted disk still bounces around even with the weights tied in the full advance position. I have tested this adapter and the engine runs a lot smoother without the timing bouncing around. This adapter will be included with each electronic advancer and it also answers the problem for '80 to '83 models that don't have the advancer to begin with. They will still have to buy the advance rod and bushings, however.

Awesome!

Very cool. I've got a 277 rephase with one of your ignitions already in it just waiting to try the advance out :) And a stock engine that will need one as well (even sooner given it doesn't have an advance unit at all at the moment).

Is it just tension that locks the advance rod in place with the cam, or does it use the same pin interface as the advance mechanism plate somehow?

Very cool. I've got a 277 rephase with one of your ignitions already in it just waiting to try the advance out :) And a stock engine that will need one as well (even sooner given it doesn't have an advance unit at all at the moment).

Is it just tension that locks the advance rod in place with the cam, or does it use the same pin interface as the advance mechanism plate somehow?

Well, of course, it uses the locating pins on the advance rod as well as the locating pin for the advancer. These are just locating pins, when you install it the nuts on each end of the advance rod tighten to clamp onto the cam, but the locating pins ensure correct position for the rotor.

Last edited:
I only ask as the Boyer ignition is a similar setup, but does not utilize a mechanical interface to the cam shaft. It just clamps down tight on the cam with an 8mm threaded rod taking the place of the advance rod.

:agree: How soon Pete I am not getting any younger. :D

Well, just a few more "fulfillment" issues and I will be ready to take orders. I added a slight retard below 100 RPM today for easier starts. The timing is now at TDC at and below 100 RPM. I also added what I call an automatic kill switch so the coils will not be energized until one revolution of the crank. This to prevent coil burnout and to make kick starting less hazardous.

OK. The product is released! :thumbsup:

www.yamahaxs650.com

first.jpg

adaptor.jpg

I'm offering a special introductory price of $75 for a limited time. The regular price is $85. Comes with a one year warranty. The 277 version is not yet available but will be soon. '80 to '83 models require the advance rod, but not the advancer. The advancer itself is totally eliminated.

Thanks for your interest and support. The introduction of this product is the final step to bring the XS650 into the 21st century, along with solid state regulators, PMA's and new carbs we'll keep the old girl going forever! :thumbsup:

Ride. Enjoy. Life is simple. :bike:

Now - I'm thinking the circuit board comes in some form of housing? Or is it up to us to put it in a box of some form?

Take another look at the picture. You can see the blue bottom half of the enclosure. The unit comes with the complete enclosure. That enclosure is a Hammond product from Guelph, Ontario.

I figured the blue must have been a bottom plate which must have a mating top - just didn't see the complete picture so thought I'd ask.

Nice to see some Canadian content in there :) Looking forward to finding a home for it on the bike and perhaps getting the 277 version for my other one.

Of course this got released today. My older kit is in my mailbox today from MikesXS. HAHA Story of my life.

Last edited:
So I'd like to order but I am a little confused.
I have a bone stock 81. What exactly do I need in order to convert my tci unit to your system?

Back