Pamco Electronic ignition vs. high output?

thanks to everyones responses, they are much appreciated. definitely a lesson in taking my time and learn to understand the principles of it all. after further research i did find out that it was my camshaft and i will now have to replace it because of a stupid mistake that i made, which caused it to become broken by me. I am now looking in to finding out what engine type i have, whether it be a 447 or 533 so i can purchase the right camshaft. i also believe that the camshaft is installed backwards, the previous owner, who is a mutual friend, says that he never took the engine apart and did ride it for a little bit when he bought from another owner.

Hi,
I'm new to this site and I've been reading a lot on this column, very resourceful
I just bought an 80 model and my plan is to make it kick start only. Seems everyone recommends the high output version with green monster coil?
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to exactly what parts I need to make the full kick start only conversion? Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for a kick only setup.

Cheers for your help

Hi,
I'm new to this site and I've been reading a lot on this column, very resourceful
I just bought an 80 model and my plan is to make it kick start only. Seems everyone recommends the high output version with green monster coil?
Could someone please point me in the right direction as to exactly what parts I need to make the full kick start only conversion? Also does anyone have a wiring diagram for a kick only setup.

Cheers for your help
You'll need the advance with yours, since your bike is an '80+ - here's the High Output kit with the advance rod.

https://www.mikesxs.net/product/14-0915.html

I run this kit without the advance on my kick only '78 and it starts first kick most times.

staggers,

Do not use the "Green Monster" coil as it has a tendency to self destruct if you inadvertently turn on the ignition with one spark plug disconnected. It may also fry the PAMCO when it self destructs and for that reason, the PAMCO warranty is void if you use this coil.

pickleslice,

Running without the advancer is not a good idea if you have somehow set the timing to full advance. Think of the advancer as more of a retarder to retard the timing for slow engine speed and for starting. You risk serious engine damage without it.

staggers,

Do not use the "Green Monster" coil as it has a tendency to self destruct if you inadvertently turn on the ignition with one spark plug disconnected. It may also fry the PAMCO when it self destructs and for that reason, the PAMCO warranty is void if you use this coil.

pickleslice,

Running without the advancer is not a good idea if you have somehow set the timing to full advance. Think of the advancer as more of a retarder to retard the timing for slow engine speed and for starting. You risk serious engine damage without it.
I meant that I did not have to buy the kit with the advanced kit because my bike already had mechanical advance.

That's awesome thanks for your help PS and PP that's ignition sorted what are you guys using for generating power for electrics on kick only? Or is the stock system ok. Cheers

The stock system is a good system, it has been a good system for years, so good in fact most vehicles use a similar system. Google "Field Excited Alternator"
It does need a battery to operate though. Being kick only it doesn't need to be a big battery. Some use a very small battery, about the size of a pack of cigarettes. .8 A/H
I would recommend one a bit bigger, about 4 A/H.
If you want to go without a battery it will cost you. You need to convert to PMA, or Permanent Magnet Alternator, you can Google that too.
Leo

Just bought a bike with some WTFU wiring, but it ran. I ripped out all the wiring to start over thinking it wouldn't be hard to rewire. Not the case though. Here is what I did, what did I do wrong?
20160701_011321.jpg

Back