Pamco Electronic ignition vs. high output?

popc1.gif

Yes I did all tests twice checked every connection. Only conclusion Pamco is inactive. Sorry to say.

I mounted my Ultimate coil as recommended on the cross bar above the engine and under the tank. Quick question, does the coil itself need to be grounded? I can't think of a reason they would need to be, since they ground through the plugs. But the ground clamps on mine are clamped to the painted bar, so there is no ground there. Is that okay?

TakeWarning15,

There is no need for a ground connection to the coils. There is, however, a need for a good thermal path from the coils to the frame for cooling, but the paint will not create a problem in this regard. Generally, there is a problem with the use of any rubber insulator that may not be a good heat conductor.

hey guys i have 1980 xs650. just bought Ultimate pamco high output electronic ignition kit + E-advancer. Part # 14-0913. i live in south jersey . i would like anyone in the area that has the time ,to help me install it .. i will pay for the service ... my number 3474100870 or email oscar.mercedes@me.com

If I switch to a small lithium battery (one bad knee requires electric start) do I need a PAMCO or could I get by without it

i have a 82 xs650, its my first bike and im also building it so im getting the "ultimate experience". i recently purchased a PAMCO ignition/starter from mikesxs.net, as i was getting ready to install it i took the cover caps off to find out that this center piece which is located on the left side of the engine ( left side and right side is determined by sitting on the bike as if you were driving it.) is broken. i need suggestions on how to remove it.

thanks,
jeff

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    broken.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 281
Unfortunately that is the camshaft itself ....

~kop

"ultimate experience" indeed . It seems you will be following an ADHD Gorilla of a PO . (previous owner) .
There are more than several here that can help , more than a few that will , and unfortunately very few that will be correct .
Forgive my cynicism but its that time of year when the keyboard warrior is in rut and good information is as hard to find as free beer :)

Last edited:
eagletoot,

You might be better off with the factory TCI system which does not use the cam shaft. However, you could have more serious damage depending on how in hell the cam shaft got totally broken like that.

i have a 82 xs650, its my first bike and im also building it so im getting the "ultimate experience". i recently purchased a PAMCO ignition/starter from mikesxs.net, as i was getting ready to install it i took the cover caps off to find out that this center piece which is located on the left side of the engine ( left side and right side is determined by sitting on the bike as if you were driving it.) is broken. i need suggestions on how to remove it.

thanks,
jeff

Appears someone already tried to install a bushing, for an ignition kit sold for a non-bushing motor most likely without instructions, previously. Basically, most kits sold by MikesXS seem to be half assed. (tho I've never been unfortunate enough to buy them)

IMO you'd be best to return the parts you have and order the Powerdynamo. It's the best system for the XS650 anyways. Easy to install, can be run without battery, with capacitor or with only one battery.
powerdynamo.jpg:thumbsup:

Back