PAMCO Ignition install troubles...HELP.

Is that the red/white that hooked to the stock coils? If so then yes, that red/white wire.
The red/white wire won't be two wires just one wire with a two place socket for the stock coils to plug into.
Leo

I'd like to stay up and help you but I have to be up in 4 hours to go to work.
I'll try to get back on after work.
Leo

I removed those wires now that I found the red/white wires ...I just have the red/white wires connected now...going to the coil with the red wire from the e advancer on the same prong, the green wire from the e advancer on its own prong, and the black wire from the e advancer connected to the frame.

Now do I just place extended screws through the thread on the coil into their respective threads on the positive and negative sides of the battery? And then reattach the positive and negative wires from the stock setup to this as well... I tried this and I'm still getting sparks

I removed those wires now that I found the red/white wires ...I just have the red/white wires connected now...going to the coil with the red wire from the e advancer on the same prong, the green wire from the e advancer on its own prong, and the black wire from the e advancer connected to the frame.

Now do I just place extended screws through the thread on the coil into their respective threads on the positive and negative sides of the battery? And then reattach the positive and negative wires from the stock setup to this as well... I tried this and I'm still getting sparks

I can't make any sense out of your last paragraph. Your battery connections remain the same as you had with the stock ignition; no change.
A link from Pamcopete's web site on coil mounting:
http://www.yamahaxs650.com/installing_the_coil.htm

The power to the new coil and the E-advancer unit, come from the same path as you had with the stock ignition, as shown in the diagram I posted. The 2 red/white wires in your harness are the only source of power, nothing else.

Everyone thank you for your help...I feel completely stupid now that I have packed everything up and taken some time to collect my thoughts and read over every single one of your posts carefully and slowly.

What I was doing wrong was taking one red/white from the stock set up and wiring it to the red wire of the e-advancer and then taking that connection (red/white and red e-advancer) and placing it onto one terminal of the coil.

Now, as I understand your directions:

1) I must take ONE red/white wire and only wire it to the red wire of the e-advancer. (1 connection)

2) Then I must take the OTHER red/white wire and wire this to the other terminal of the coil opposite of the green e-advancer wired terminal. (2nd connection)

3) Just to recap then the green e-advancer wire is on one terminal of the coil, and the other terminal is occupied by the red/white wire connection as described in #2 above. Then the black wire from the e-advancer is grounded to the frame (any suggestions what you guys did to secure it?

.............Now that i think we've overcome that............

When connecting the coil and the battery should i just place two longer threaded screws through the two ports on the coil into the lined up threads of the positive and negative terminals of the battery (having the negative and positive wires of the stock set up securely threaded with the screws), thus connecting the coil and battery securely?

Also, sitting here now I'm worried that I did some damage to my new pamco...That sparking from the battery I was getting couldn't have messed anything up correct? I really hope not....

Thank you though for the help everyone, and the patience you have shown. My brain is fried from the 5 plus hours spent on it today, but I'm going to get up tomorrow and get back on the horse and learn how to do this with everyone's advice.

Goodnight Guys!

Posted via Mobile

thank you retiredgentleman as well...that helps out tremendously...

I have no experience in electronics whatsoever obviously, I don't know why I thought the coil need to be in contact with the battery like I described....

But as you have shown the stock wiring of the battery will allow the battery to carry the power through the red/white wire and into the pamco correct....

Once I get this right, I am going to be completely dumbfounded as to how I did not get this the first time.

Posted via Mobile

OK , I think you have the wiring under control now.

Just to be clear, I mentioned this before, but I'll say it again. You have 2 red/white wires in the harness that will supply power to the ignition. Its your choice if you use 1 red/white or both red/whites. The one red/white can be wired to the red of the E-advancer and to one coil terminal. The other red/white could be left unused. Or you can use both red/whites.

Another update guys...

Wired her up and when the e-start button is pushed she starts turning...Of course it didn't start because I have all of the gas lines off but at least I know that when everything gets back on it'll be able to get going.

Now, after a long day of working on this system it is definitely time for bed. However, tomorrow I will solder and clip excess wiring from the stock leftovers and mount the new coil into it's new position.

Coincidentally the new pma system also comes in tomorrow. Now I'd like to hear everyone's opinion if this is somehow more straightforward/easier than the pamco install? Also I've never timed an engine before and was thinking of taking it into a local shop...could I do this on my own though? Also should I just wait to time everything and square everything away until the pma is on?

Any tips on anything further will be greatly appreciated!

Also when I finally get this thing running...I'll have to post a video on youtube of it running for you guys to see all the help you have contributed in bike form!

Thanks!!!

Posted via Mobile

bmfakler,

My standard and oft repeated reccomendation is that you wire the PAMCO to a seperate battery and get the engine running before you install the PMA. In fact, do this before you even remove the stock alternator rotor so that you can use the factory timing marks to set the timing. You do not need the stock charging system to be functional to install and time the PAMCO.

Keep the tremporary wiring for the PAMCO when you install the PMA because one of three things will happen when you first start up trhe engine with the PMA installed:

1. The engine will start and the PMA will produce a perfect 14.5 Volts. :laugh:
2. The engine will start but the PMA will produce zero Volts. :shrug:
3. The engine will start but the PMA will produce a destructive 20 + Volts and fry everything. :banghead:

So, as you can see, you do not want your ignition system to be connected to the PMA until you have resolved any potential problems. This to avoid either the engine not starting or the PMA frying the ignition. :eek:

Also, I would recommend that you do your own timing. Finding a good mechanic who will work on a 40 year old motorcycle is difficult, and expensive. Follow the instructions for the PAMCO installation and position the plate so the engine will stat. Then, use an inexpensive timing light and the help you will get from the members here to set the timing. Do not buy an expensive pre set timing light as they are not suitable for our modest engine and you will only confuse yourself and anyone trying to help you. Just a simple, basic timing light for about $40 will work just fine and is a lot cheaper than hiring a mechanic.

I would do as Pamcopete suggests. Get the bike running with the stock alternator parts. Get the timing right. Ride the bike a bit to see how it performs. Then once you know it runs well then you can tackle the PMA conversion.
Leo

So if I time the pamco correctly it shouldn't fry the pamco? I had work today so tomorrow ill be suring up everything and will time the engine tomorrow.

Back