Part I'd help

mcalex93

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bout a new alternator stator and rotor for my 1980 650 , But it did not come with the part circled in the pic what is it called?)
Do I , just drill out the old special screws and re use it or can I buy a new one ?
It is all OEM parts , but my searches bring up pma parts results alny help

Attachments

• 20190428_180550.jpg
    20190428_180550.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 20190428_180448.jpg
    20190428_180448.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 111
That's the "pick-ups" or electronic trigger for the TCI ignition. You probably didn't get the rotor that has magnets on it to trigger the ignition either if both pieces came from same parts bike. Not a deal-breaker but some switching around of components will be needed. And I think the charging system brushes and/or brush holders will need retro fitted to your later style set up too. Hopefully others with better ability to explain it will chime in with better how-to answers.

All mynparts are new OEM parts from Mikexs , both the rotor and alternator stator
If your parts are from Mikes, they're not OEM... they're aftermarket. Mikes doesn't sell OEM parts.
As to your question, yes that's the TCI crank sensor. If you're using the original TCI system in your bike, put that on the new stator. The rotor in the second pic has the pickup magnet, so it should work fine. You'll need a timing light to set the timing though.

Also in the second pic, your brushes aren't connected. The wires go on top of the brush mount tabs. Like this....

206.jpg

As mentioned on fb the pickup screw heads can be slotted and removed with a screw driver, they are a standard metric thread.

This is how your brushes should look when mounted correctly - inner brush mount tab facing up, under the brown wire, outer brush mount tab facing down, under the green wire .....

dQyF0pr.jpg

Also of note - the brush wires should wrap around the outsides of the brackets. There is a shallow groove cut into the mounting block for the wires to route through. Try to square your mount brackets up better too. They shouldn't be bent away from the brush block like that.

Something else to check is the inside of the stator housing.
There's 2 types, difference being in whether the inboard brush screw is grounded, or floating.

BrushBlocks-Inside.jpg

I don't think it would be drilled for the pickup but have the earlier brush style.

Another way to get the pickup off is there should be enough sticking through the backside to grab and twist with mini vicegrips. At least on the bottom one. Try the vg's on the head of the other. Of course use normal screws to put it on the other one :)

Last edited:
Back