Parts lists...

Chito

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are some really great articles and how to's on here, but you know what might be helpful? Parts lists. Kinda how a recipe lists it's ingredients first before the directions. Example: I've got to change my cam chain guide. I'll need:

1. Cam chain guide
2. Gaskets or whatever else I'll need (I'm just putting a list together now).

Im not sure this is exactly what you are after, but if you go to boats.net and enter your bike in the search field (xs650 1981 for example), it will come up with the parts microfiches for all the various bike components. It will tell you the part numbers too, and whether or not they are available or obsolete. It won't tell you anything about the tools or sealants that you might need to complete a job, but you can use it as a check list to make sure you have the right parts going in the right places. In many cases previous owners do, interesting things....

Oh yeah... I just thought it'd be nice to have more standard format. I mean, beggars can't be choosers. I just hate getting into something and realizing I should have ordered something I hadn't even thought of.

When going into a topend, you know before hand a few of the items you'll need, but you won't know for sure about everything you might need until you inspect what you find in there. For instance, will new rings suffice or is cylinder wear so bad that an over-bore is called for? As for what I acquire before hand, for a 1st time opening (since the factory) of an average 20K motor, that would include gaskets, valve guide seals, front cam chain guide, and a new cam chain.

Thanks guys. Helpful as always. Not really looking forward to this. I like the shopping list ideas. It does make sense about not knowing for sure until you're in there.

Back