Pirelli vs Shinko

gmenard

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Time to get new tires and I'm looking for some suggestions. Does anyone have experience with Shinko and Pirelli? Can't decide between these two brand tires. Any thoughts about their tread wear and road performance. Price is not a big problem since 4WO-Motorcycle Accessories is offering me a very good deal. Thank you for any help.

you would be OK with either one, a lot of guys are going with the Shinko but just pick the tread pattern you like best, Google each tire and look for reviews besides someone other than the manufacturer themselves :laugh:

I have the shinkos, couple hundred miles on them and so far so good. They ride nice, handle nice. Cant comment on wet weather handling or wear yet, but I would recommend them. So far so good, and the money cant beat that.

I run the Pirelli MT ROUTE 66 tires on my 81. They are a great tire wet or dry. Got caught in the rain And on the way home I pushed them as hard as I dared. After awhile I was pushing things as hard as I would on dry roads.
I like them so far. Haven't got a lot of miles, a few thousand.
Leo

I refuse to give Pirelli any money since they are the same company as Metzeler. Back in '08 the yamaha raider was sold with reverse tread (a manufacturing error). The Metz 210mm 808 tire was recalled everywhere but the USA. It basically made the high torque raider feel like it was on ice when on a wet road. The tires also only lasted about 3k miles tops. When I finally got to talk to their CEO about it he says "Its your problem not ours." With that mentality about rider safety there isn't a chance I'll give them my money.

I haven't had shinkos but will add one more you should be looking at. The Avon Venoms. The tire grip is awesome, lasts over 10k miles, and performs fabulously in the wet.

I have Avon Venoms on my xs650 and Avon Cobras on my Raider.

I am a fan of the MT-66 as well. I have used it on 3 bikes and always liked the ride and wet or dry grip. Around 9-10K miles on a similar weight bike on the rear, more like 16K on the front.
Pirelli may own Metzeler, but it does not mean they own the problems. Pirelli bought Metzeler to keep Michelin from buying it and shutting it down. Metzeler has had well documented quality control issues for years, and I won't recommend them to anyone, but I would not hold it over the parent company's head. I hate fucking Dunlop motorcycle tires with a passion, but I'll still buy a Goodyear car tire. I've heard too many mixed results from Shinko to have an opinion, and I've never bought any for that reason. I have Michelins on my Road Star, Continentals on my SV, and junk on my XS that will eventually be raised white letter S-11s.

Back