Please help, The motor will not shut off.

Here is a easy way to tell what you got.
Get a test light and attach it to one side of the coil IF YOU GOT JUICE YOU HAVE IT HOT WIRED
TURN KEY ON AND OFF IF YOU WIRED IT CORRECTLY LIGHT WILL GO ON AND OFF
Is this a chop or stock bike Had stock bike handlebar switch short out and always was on but key shut bike down.
If you are killing bike and motor is still sounds like you got some wires mixed up

Wouldnt a faulty ign switch do that? A honda I restored a couple years ago, using a repop ign switch was doing that. I pulled the switch and checked it with a meter, in all 3 positions< on-ign-lights . It had an intermittent in the ign position.

What i do is use a relay. The whole fuse box is through the relay. So key off = power to nothing. (except what ever requires right off of the battery)

It is real easy to mix up the red and brown wires coming off the rectifier. the red wire has to be hooked directly to the battery, NOT the ignition switch or else it will stay running like that.

SOB, i bet thats what it was.....that honda would run and the tail light would even be on...really unsteady running..but running....Then if i turned the headlight on it must have robbed enough juice to kill it.

Just to follow up on the thread for anyone who might be looking for the end result of the problem.

Bill was right, it was the wire from the rectifier that was tied into the switched hot lead. I wasn't thinking when I glossed over my wiring diagram and just thought in my head that everything should run off the switched lead.

I guess I didn't anticipate that pesky charging system ...

Back