PMA Install- Voltage too high- 6 wire regulator

IIRC some people had issues with staters getting hot due to poor soldering connections on the stator. I could be way off, just a thought.

Thanks, I did some searchin around and it looks like there were some similar problems with a batch coming from Hugh's. Hopefully my eBay seller will refund me. I haven't even pulled the whole thing apart, I was so bummed when I saw it. There's burn marks coming out the holes in the rotor, a horrible smell and little particles and oily fluid in the cover. Bike is still running, I probably have 1 or 2 windings intact. I possibly toasted the crank seal if the fire was as big as it looks
The big question is if there is anything in my current setup that would fry a stator.
Also where do I source some better parts?
I think I will go with an OEM stator from a dismantled bike, but not sure how to source the correct regulator rectifier? Seems like any 5 wire will do, though I have been looking at all the mofset/shunt info, and I am confused. That info wasn't on the PMA-install-how-to.

Posted via Mobile

Thanks 2many
I had read the first one, I hadn't found the second one. There's no way I am going with the cheap reg/rectifier combo from Cal-Tric this time. You really think the shunt reg sends heat back into the stator? I was planning on going with all LEDs too, but now it looks like I want the extra load. I have what others described, looks like there was a fire in there. I am giving the PMA another try though, I know there's high quality components out there and it's run on many non-XS bikes. I will have some research time while I wait on my rotor puller to arrive.

Posted via Mobile

Back